prologue

≫ ──── ≪

≫ ──── ≪

"Did mommy text back?"

I breathed in sharply and shuffled to sit properly on the couch.

Nami was looking up at me from her homework. The light from the TV in the dark living room was blinding so it woke me up even more.

Shit. I fell asleep.

I quickly shuffled to look for my phone and the time showed 1:54 am in the morning. "Fuck,"

"What? Mommy texted back?"

Upon realizing I just swore in front of a six year old, I cleared my throat. "No. Why didn't you wake me up? You have to wake up early today for the exam."

"I was worried and wanted to wait for mommy and daddy. And you looked so tired I didn't want to wake you up."

I stared at her.

Sometimes it scares me how a child her age was able to think like that.

"Oh, happy birthday." She said as she handed me a small Totoro keychain.

"Awee thank you. How did you get this?"

"A boy in my class gave it to me. But I don't like Totoro, I like Hello Kitty. So you can have it."

I chuckled at her innocence. Poor kid. "Well I'll buy you all the Hello Kitty merch that you want. But you have to sleep now, ok? Don't want to be late for your important exam."

"I don't think I'll have the exam tomorrow." She pouted. "I don't think anyone will."

That came out of nowhere. I was lost of words. "What do you mean?" I asked in confusion.

"Look," Nami grabbed the tv remote and increased the volume.

The reporter was standing in front of a burning building far behind her, "we advise that everyone stay at home, lock your doors—" she changed to another channel.

"Wait, no, Nami—"

"— Police Department reported a large scale violence and hysteria have broken out in the downtown area. The cause of the violence remains unknown at this time, but police have urged citizens to remain in their homes—" Nami changed to another channel. "We've received reports that victims afflicted with the infection show signs of increased aggression and—"

"Hey! Watch out!" Someone shouted near the reporter and the channel went static.

"So did mommy text back?" Nami looked back at me.

I just stared at her, trying to process everything that I just watched. "Turn down the volume." I said as I glanced at the large window in our living room.

There seemed to be nothing going on in our neighborhood. I walked over to check if I missed anything going on outside.

No one was out, but none of the house's lights were on.