30 - Warm and Cold

Dedicated to: @bblakknight2467 and @BrynnaGermanOfficial (for getting the answer right last chapter) but also shoutout to:

@Itzsammyx_  @RideAHorseThenABike  @Hannahirungu6 for their interpretations!

*****

Monday

"Okay, but the idea of flying chickens is absolutely terrifying."

Benji glanced at me with a frown. "I swear they can already fly a little bit? Like a few meters off the ground?"

I gripped the sides of my seat, staring at him with wide eyes. "You're joking?"

He laughed at my dramatics and I punched his arm gently.

"You're laughing now but when they can fly properly and terrorize us by pelting down eggs I'll be safe in my underground bunker." I shrugged, setting Benji off again.

It was Monday after school and Benji and I had arranged to go to his house after school to work on our History project. He'd been apprehensive about inviting me over at first but I was adamant, I'd wanted to meet his big family since he told me about them.

"Stupid piece of crap." Benji muttered as we slowly pulled into his driveway. I watched in amusement quietly.

"Is the car old?" I asked as he parked roughly. Benji nodded.

"It belonged to Isaiah, my older brother when he was still in high school." He explained. "That was like four years ago, and it was given to him second hand, so it's not in mint condition."

"Are you going to get a new one then?"

Benji nodded with a smile, grabbing his bag and opening the car door. "Yeah, my parents said if I get only A's and above in these upcoming mocks they'll get me a new car."

I whistled. Way to drive a hard bargain.

Once we reached Benji's front door he hesitated. I could hear the screams of laughter coming from inside and glanced at him.

"Look, my family is... a lot." He told me. "And don't take anything they say seriously."

I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

He simply shook his head and unlocked the door, stepping inside first. The house seemed to go silent the moment he did so, as if it was taking a deep breath. Then it exhaled and the noise came back at full force.

Benji lead me down the hallway and I glanced around, taking in the many family portraits. The cameraman must have had trouble fitting everyone in the frame.

We stopped at the entrance of the living room and my eyes widened when a toilet roll came flying at us with an alarming speed. I stepped back just as Benji caught it mid air, unfazed, then turned to me.

"One second thought, maybe you should wait in my room. It'll be safer." He told me, and I giggled slightly then realised he was serious about the latter part of his statement.

"It's the second door on the left." He directed. I raised an eyebrow as if to say 'that's all you're giving me?' "You'll just know it's mine."

I shrugged, following his directions as he entered the living room. A couple seconds later all the noise ceased as Benji's deep voice rang out. I entered what I assumed was his room, taking in the dark blue and white walls covered in various posters. His room was pretty messy, not that I was expecting anything else. But what surprised me was the guitar situated in the corner of his room.

I kept my stuff down, sitting at his desk which had a laptop on it and bringing out my USB. We'd completed majority of the research at school so we just had to formulate it into an essay, which was the hardest bit.