o n e

Kayla knew she was different

It showed whenever her fingers lit up whenever she touched a side of her house, when she touched one of the toys or objects scattered around the house and she felt a rush of strength passing through her, as if filling her with something she felt had been missing in her all along.

Kayla knew she wasn't normal the moment she could transform this strength into magic. When the magic was gone when she felt this energy inside of her disappeared.

Kayla knew she wasn't normal the first time she touched her brother, Markus' arm making him fall to his knees in pain while their skin glowed as Kayla felt that rush of strength inside of her, that energy she relished heavily to feel better and better to the point Markus looked barely alive and the house began to shake and the lights flicker in and out.

Kayla was barely a fourteen year old when by trying to fill that void inside her with her brother's magic, she ended up losing control of all that magic she has never had before.

It was when everyone in her family realized the danger Kayla brought to their family and the similarities she shared with her absent father.

It was when they decided, Kayla wasn't normal and never would be.

Kayla that day knew family is not always the ones you share blood with. Family would never try - and of course, fail - to kill you.

Kayla knew that day she preferred being whatever she was than being normal.

It was also the day that for the first time in fourteen years of her life, Kayla felt finally free.