f i v e

Penelope could only watch on slight worry the way Kayla violently threw her clothes in a small bag

"I wouldn't touch anyone in that state" Penelope said as she stood at her side of their shared room.

The lights were flickering slightly as Kayla tried to even her breathing, hands slightly shaking.

"Not gonna hurt you, Pen" Kayla told her, briefly looking up. "Stop being scared"

"I'm not" Penelope snapped. "Is too much asking to know the gossip?"

"Got myself a new guardian" Kayla answered, clenching her fists so she could stop her hands from shaking. It wasn't working.

Penelope raised an eyebrow in surprise. She too knew the struggle her roommate had into having a permanent guardian "Well, that's nice"

"No" Kayla glared at one side of her bed that accidentally got in fire by her. "Shit"

Penelope waved a hand to Kayla's bed, "Adituur"

The fire faded.

Kayla closed her eyes, rubbing her forehead in frustration, "It's Hope's mom"

Penelope paused, "I heard she's nice"

"She is" Kayla confirmed, "Which is gonna suck when she stops wanting to be my guardian, returning me back to the school's care"

Kayla dropped herself on her bed, arm covering her eyes.

In the safety of their room, both girls had the liberty and freedom to actually act like human beings, not the cold fronts they put up with everyone.

This time, Kayla was acting like the teenager she was.

"Oh" Penelope let out softly as she finally understood Kayla's reaction.

"Yes" Kayla said, huffing, "Now, I'm supposed to pack to go New Orleans with Hope and her mom because apparently we did something stupid"

Penelope wasn't truly aware of what they had done but she wasn't surprised Kayla and the word stupid and dangerous were together.

"Well, don't you have this danger gene in you that you got from your father that makes you do terrible things?" Penelope asked, if not only to lift the mood.

It worked slightly as Kayla let out a small chuckle, "Well, I am the daughter of a psychopath after all"

Penelope nodded in agreement. "Yes, you are"

Kayla dropped her arm, staring at the ceiling quietly, "I don't want to screw things up this time"

"Then don't" Penelope told her, "I mean, it doesn't hurt opening up once in awhile, does it? Maybe you still haven't found someone trustworthy enough for you to be yourself. You don't lose anything by trying" Kayla tilted her head to face her roommate. Penelope's lips quirked in a smirk, "And if that doesn't work, you can always siphon them to their knees"