The Shadow Inside of Me

Adeline's P.O.V:

I could tell that the harvest moon was coming. Although it wasn't here until tomorrow something inside me said otherwise. I was still in Paul's arms crying, I felt as if everything that has been happening in the past few months has just begun crashing down on me. I pulled away from him. I knew what I needed to do. I needed to train as hard as possible with my mother and become strong enough to overtake the darkness inside of me that I didn't know I had. I looked into his eyes and could see the worry in them.

"Babe, what can I do to help?" His voice was stronger than he leads on. I smiled at him and kissed his lips softly. "You are supporting me and being by my side no matter what is helping." I truly meant every word that I was saying. Giving him one more look as I headed upstairs to shower and get around before my mother came back. I undressed myself looking into the mirror studying the me I see right now. The blue eyes, dark brown hair, the marks that I have earned from learning more about my powers. I even studied the hickey that Paul left on my collar bone, I flashed my natural eyes at myself in the mirror. A small smirk came across my lips as I looked at the powerful version of myself that I saw. Natural eyes and all. I knew what I had to stick too tomorrow during ascendants of my power. I turned on the water and climb in the shower letting the scorching hot water cascade over my body. I leaned my head back closing my eyes.

A clearing appeared in front of me. My mother and Salia dressed in floor length black dresses. The harvest moon peaking in the night sky. In the middle of the clearing was a metal bathtub filled with water. I walked over to the tub and looked into the water seeing my reflection. My hair was a darker brown almost black. My tattoos were different colors instead of the black ink. My natural eyes filled with red and purple flames instead of red and orange. I stepped into the tub, Salia and my mother come on either side of me both placing their hands on my shoulders.

"It is time; the moon is at the highest peak." Salia's voice was smooth like silk. Her and my mother pushed me under the water. Hours passed and I finally came up from under the water looking at my mother and Salia with worry and pride.

I snap my eyes open to be back in my bathroom in my shower. I took a deep breath and grabbed my towel to dry off. Walking out of the bathroom in just a towel I see Paul sitting on the bed waiting for me. A smile forms on my lips as he makes his way over too me. His hands cupping my face as he kisses me deeply and hungry. I return the kiss wrapping my arms around his neck causing my towel to drop to the floor leaving me naked in front of him. He pulled away and scanned his eyes down my body.

"I'm not going to die Paul." I looked at him standing confidently in front of him, "I will still be me." His eyes met mine again as he grabbed my hands pulling my close to him again. "I can't lose you Adeline." I smiled knowingly at him. "And I can't lose you either." My voice was strong and laced with adoration. I really did love this man, even when he irritated the hell out of me. He was mine and I was his. I am going to make sure I can do anything possible to be with him and have a family.

"Your mother will be here shortly," his eyes scanned my body once more, "As much as I would love to stare at your naked body all day, we need to make sure we will get that happy ending we both deserve." I nodded kissed him sweetly and got dressed.

After I finished getting ready my mother was already waiting for me in the living room, I offered her a smile and I placed a kiss on Paul's cheek. "Are you ready darling?" I nodded and looked at her. "Before we do this, I have to ask you something." My mother looked at me curiously and nodded for me to go on. "Is it possible for witches to have detailed premonitions?" my voice was shaky as I asked her.

She looked at me in the eyes as if she were searching for something, "you know your outcome, don't you?" I nodded and gave her my hand trying to find a way to show her what I saw. She placed both hands on mine closed her eyes. A few moments later she smiled and opened her eyes. "You saw your shadow self. You do have the gift of premonition." I smiled and looked over at Paul who was confused but didn't want to ask any questions. "We better get going Adeline. It's time to prepare you for tomorrow." I nodded and followed her out of my house with Paul following behind us. Instead of driving to where we needed to go my mother gripped my hand and Paul's arm using a spell to transport us to the clearing where I first met my mother. As we appeared I saw Salia standing next to the tub I saw in my vision. I offered a smile over to Salia. My mother walked over to Salia and filled her in on what I saw. I stayed by Paul who seemed more nervous than I was.

"This isn't the real thing baby." I placed a hand on his shoulder. He let out a sigh grabbing my hand kissing it softly. "I know it's not Addy, I just can't get over the way you screamed this morning. The sound is haunting me." I hugged him tightly, he wrapped his arms around securing me in the embrace. "I love you Paul, no matter what." I kissed his chest. "I love you Adeline, No matter what." He kissed my head and let go of me as Salia and my mother walked over to us.

"Are you ready dear?" Salia asked me sweetly. I shrugged, "as ready as I can be." The four of us started towards the tub. We reach the tub and my superiors looked at me, "this is going to sound weird, but we need you to be completely nude for this, today and tomorrow." I nodded understand. "it's the most vulnerable state for anyone." I said looking into the tub, seeing my reflection off the water. I started stripping off my clothes looking at Paul as a did. Not in a sexual matter but for support, he gave me a smile as his eyes racked over my body in adoration. I smiled at myself and climbed into the tub. Leaning back into the tub I leaned my head back looking at my two mentors who looked so proud of me. I nodded to them and took a deep breath as, they started murmuring a spell as they pushed me under the water.

Everything around me was pitch black, cold, and seemed to be hot at the same time. I looked around trying to find anything I could use. My eyes scanned the area around me, they landed on the version of myself I saw earlier. I started towards the figure. As if it knew the figured turned around and smiled at me sweetly. "My dear human realm self." The figure extended its hands out to me, I took them without even thinking. "You are more ready than you think. Everything that has happened in your life this past year is why you are as strong as you are now. Stronger than I could have ever predicted." I smiled at my shadow self. "Just know dear, the difference between shadow self and doppelganger." I immediately thought of the evil version of myself I saw. "Your doppelganger is trying to work hard against you. Tomorrow your soul will choose to be one with me, your shadow self, or with your doppelganger you must choose wisely my dear." The figure pressed a fingertip on my forehead and pushed my body back.

I pushed out of the water and looked at everyone around me who had worried looks plastered on their face. I looked down at the water and saw that it was no longer clear, but it looked like wet concreate.

Paul's P.O.V:

I watched as the love of my life climbed into the tub. I had so many reservations about this, I didn't want to say anything to Adeline to worry her. My thoughts were interrupted when I saw her mother and Salia push her under the water. "What the hell are you doing?" I screamed at them. All I could see was Adeline's hands gripping tightly to the side of the tub as if she were fighting for her life.

Adeline's P.O.V:

I couldn't help but notice the pained look on Paul's face. I climb out of the tub only to receive gasp from my mother and Salia. I turned to look at them confused on what the sounds were for. I looked down at my arms and saw a new mark on my right arm. I gasped at the detail in it. My eyes met with Paul's a smiled appeared on his face.

"Even when you seem like you are fighting for your life, you come back stronger than even." I smiled at him and looked back to my mentors. "I talked to my shadow self."