CHAPTER 12

***

Hindi ko alam kung most awaited ito dahil kainis naman talaga siya but hopefully he won't be such a bad character in his own story.

Kei's POV

***

"Kei, hijo."

Kei looked up from his laptop and saw his mother sit in one of the chairs in front of his table. Inayos niya ang salamin bago ibinalik ang tingin sa laptop screen.

"Yes, Mom?"

"Florencio called me."

His fingers stopped mid-air. Napatingin siya uli sa ina na nasa harap. "Why did he call? Did something happen?" Umalsa ang kaba sa dibdib niya.

"He just wanted to talk to you. He wants to ask a favor from you, anak."

He removed his glasses and leaned against his leather clad chair. "Did he tell you what favor?"

Nakita niya ang alinlangan sa mukha ng ina. She was hesitant but she spoke anyway. "It will require you to go home. He said it was something you cannot reject."

Kinalkal niya sa isip kung may utang ba siya sa matandang de Chavez. Wala siyang maalala na atraso rito. He knew damn well how their last conversation went.

"I'm not sure what he wants, Mom."

Nagkibit-balikat ito. "Beats me. He will call you up soon." Pinagsalikop nito ang dalawang kamay. "How's Brooke doing?"

Brooke has been his girlfriend for three years. Last month, they got engaged. It was not a romantic proposal at all. It was more like a business arrangement.

Brooke is a businesswoman managing one of San Francisco's leading business magazines. They met at a business event where her magazine featured his company. They got along well and was comfortable with each other. They knew what they wanted from each other. Connections.

"She's doing fine. Busy as always."

Tumango-tango ito. "Anak, I have never asked you about this but...are you sure with her? Don't get me wrong. I like Brooke. She's an independent one pero...you don't seem happy with her."

"Ano bang gusto niyo makita, Mom? PDA is not our thing."

"Iyun na nga! Kahit ata kiss sa cheek hindi niyo ginagawa. Kahit nga holding hands hindi. I don't think you've even had sex yet."

Sinamaan niya ng tingin ang ina. He doesn't want to delve into those details with his mother. "Mom, please!"

"Point is, reconsider your choice of marrying her. Anak, marriage is not a business partnership. It should revolve around love, friendship, trust, and loyalty."

"Brooke and I started out as friends. We trust each other. We are loyal with each other."

"Love mo ba siya?"

Napahawak siya sa sentido. His Mom is starting to get into his nerves. "Mom does it matter-"

Umiling-iling ito bago tumayo at hinawakan na ang mukhang bago nanaman nitong Chanel bag. "Maybe Florencio's plan was a blessing in disguise, huh?"

He knew what his mother meant. Kahit nang makalabas na ito ng pinto ay nakatitig pa rin siya sa kawalan.

He stood up and stared at the San Francisco skyline. He has been seeing this view for a long time. Hindi niya alam kung kailan siya uuwi ng Pilipinas. Sure, he went home to attend his friends' weddings in secret but to come back home permanently?