A Day Of Remembering

Your morning started as it usually did on this date, with an almost lonely feeling. You took just a little longer to get out of bed than you normally did. Dressed just a little slower, moved almost robotically. Your phone was off, not wanting to be disturbed for the next few hours. This was your time to mourn, to remember the events that took place so many years ago, apologize to a crumbling tombstone you had no money to fix.

You didn't bring flowers when you went to visit the grave, she'd always hated flowers. A small smile pulled at your lips when you remembered the dramatic gag she'd give upon smelling flowers. It made a small bit of laughter bubble in your chest and you sat beside the tombstone, brushing grass away from it.

"I've got a lot to catch you up on."

You were probably crazy, talking to a grave, but it was therapeutic in a way. It gave you a sense of peace to talk with your long dead friend, although she had been more like a sister to you in life. Your chest tightened and you pulled the bottle of whiskey from your bag.

"Dan's still a pain, just like always, but I did meet a new man recently and let me tell you, you'd have loved him!" You laughed a bit imagining the way she would have gushed over Lucifer.

"He might have a screw or two loose, but he's got a good head on his shoulders, he's... odd in the best way."

You wiped a stray tear, opening the bottle and pouring a little out for her, before taking a large drink yourself. You settled back against the stone, sighing heavily.

"I'm sorry I didn't see the signs sooner Ce, sorry I couldn't save you."

You glanced up at the sky and you took another greedy gulp.

"If it helps that bastard will get what's coming to him, as soon as I find him..."

Your head spun a little and you rocked to your feet, turning to stare down at your best friend's name carved on the stone.

"I've been dealing with other shit holes in my search though, I know you hated when I got into fights but I think you'd be proud of this at least. Helping other people in situations like yours was, making sure they don't... end up like you..."

You raised the bottle to your lips once more, ready to swallow the rest and relish in the burn. Instead, you paused, reaching for the cap before setting the bottle on the tombstone.

"Your favorite. I'll see you next year Cecelia, hopefully after I've put that bastard six feet in the ground, just like he did to you."

You turned to walk away, pulling the hood on your hoodie up as you headed towards the gates of the cemetery. You pulled your phone from your pocket, turning it on with the intention of calling a cab but there was so many texts and missed calls from Dan. Probably worried about your sudden disappearance, a few of the texts warned you to stay out of trouble though and you smirked.

You intended to do the very opposite, itching for a distraction.

There was a few texts from Lucifer as well, nothing near as panicky as Dan's but you smiled all the same. You did wind up calling for a cab, choosing to send Dan a simple thumbs up that he could interpret however he damn well pleased, you didn't care. But you did return Lucifer's one call. He answered surprisingly fast and his voice brought comfort to you.

"Hello darling! I hope my messages haven't interrupted something important."

You stared out the window of the cab as you settled back in your seat.

"No, not really, I just turned my phone on, but are you busy?"

There was a brief pause and you heard him moving around.