Prologue

Ariana Varner stared out of the window as she waited for the call she was making to her parents to get through.

"Hello, darling!" her mother said when they picked up.

Ariana grimaced when she heard her mother's high pitched voice. "Good evening, mother."

"How are you, sweetheart? And how is school going?" her father asked from the background.

"Everything is fine, thank you," she replied. "You told one of the maids to have me call you as soon as I got back. Is everything okay?"

There was a moment of silence before her parents replied. "Everything is alright," her father began, "but we won't be able to make it home for Christmas."

Ariana's eyes enlarged as she assimilated this information. Her parents would not be home for Christmas. That had to be the best thing she was hearing  all day.

"I know you're happy about this," her mom said.

The woman's daughter cleared her throat before responding in a mock soft tone, "Of course not, mother! How can I be happy when my parents are stuck in the hot sun of Africa?"

"Stop pretending. You can't fool me," Mrs. Varner retorted.

"Melissa, that's enough," Mr. Varner said sternly. "Ariane, your mother and I will need you to celebrate Christmas on your own. Your cousin, Stan, will be coming over to celebrate with you."

"That means you can't have any friends over because Stanley won't let you," her mother interjected, no doubt, with a triumphant smile on her face.

Ariana chuckled. "Okay, mother and father. You know I don't believe in Christmas so I'll just stay home on that day. Besides, I'm sure cousin Stan and I get along just fine."

"That's my girl," Mr. Varner said. "Take good care of yourself."

"Of course. Bye."

Ariana did a short jubilee dance as soon as the line cut. "There's going to be no Christmas this year!"