7 Gramps

[Spiritual body used +5 Exp]

[Spiritual body used +10 Exp]

[40/100 Exp]

Rhys grinned when he saw his reward increase from 5 Exp to 10 Exp. He was no longer putting his hand through objects, but his whole body instead, which he was happy to see doubled his reward to 10 Exp. Thankfully, when he used this skill on his entire body, his clothes were able to pass through solids with him, so he did not come out the other side of a street lamp naked.

It was about a 10km walk from the sector 5 main hospital to his home in District 20, which Rhys knew was far too tough a walk for a guy with his stamina, so he was racing to get to the early morning busses that would be leaving soon. He was already panting as he jogged to the bus stop but he didn't feel exhausted because he was too excited as he was running through trash cans and lamp poles while using his skill. He savoured the tingling sensation he felt when his body passed through a solid object.

[HP 12/20]

This newest message startled Rhys a bit.

Apparently, the usage of his ability and the running would take a toll on his health. From what he knew about those rich-kid games, when the HP reached 0, the player died. He would have to keep that in mind for the future.

[Stamina +1]

[Stamina: 4]

Rhys smiled at the increase of his stamina though. He guessed that with a little bit of training, he could really improve his strength and agility as well.

He made it to the bus just in time and found himself to be one of few passengers taking the early-early bus. He quickly walked past the few passengers and took a seat at the back. He then discreetly reached into his pocket and pulled out the gold card the hospital had given him in exchange for the gem. He admired the glistening gold colour while concealing it in his palm. Even though he was holding it in his hand,  this whole situation still felt unreal. He had seen so many movies wherein the suave main character was holding one of these famous gold cards, casually buying expensive clothes and paying for the finest goods. Realistically, a gold card was given out when more than 100,000 zen was loaded onto a card. The hospital's evaluator had evaluated the gem to be worth 500,000 zen and thus he had qualified for a gold card on which his 500 000 zen had been loaded to.

Rhys felt like such a big shot, there at the back of the bus with such a card in his hand. The temptation to go out and buy all the things he had been craving during his life was strong. He could not help him imagine going into the fresh foods section of the food outlets and buying real fruits and vegetables for the first time. Or going to a technology outlet and buying a Zencho smart phone and laptop. Even though he was thoroughly tempted, he pushed back those desires. Although is was a lot of money, it could easily be wasted if he was not careful with it. He had seen what had happened to Mrs Trudge.

In her youth she had been pretty strong, and won 1,000,000 zen in the national amateur fighting championship for making it to the semi-finals. Having been a poor district 12 street thug all her life, she went absolutely crazy with all that money. Left her partner and kids, underwent numerous plastic surgeries, spent half her money on material things (none of which was property) and lent the rest to her 'friends' who never payed her back. In two years she became homeless. With nothing to her name. Rhys knew her favourite sleeping spot was opposite their store front. When they had left-over food, they would give it to her, so she preferred staying near gramps and Rhys. It was on one of the days where Rhys went to go and give her food, that she told Rhys her life story, from which Rhys learned some valuable lessons.