𝟘𝟝

"I'm fine, Delilah," I said as I spun around on my chair. It was currently 10 and I was at the library for my volunteer shift, no one was here so I had called Delilah. She was now interrogating me over my sudden disappearance at lunch. It's nice having caring friends but sometimes I hated it.

"Are you sure? You looked pretty sick before you ran off." She said again for the fifth time this call.

"Delilah, I swear on my right and left feet as well as my hands, heart, kidney, everything. That I am one hundred percent ok. Now can we please move topics," I sighed.

"Fine fine. But I swear if I find out something's wrong and you didn't tell me, I will force you to solve my math homework for the rest of the year." I bit my lip and gave her an mhm in response. I hated lying to her. Every time I did a sickening feeling would grow in my stomach, and in truth, I didn't want to lie but—I just couldn't.

The front bell jingled and someone stepped inside. "Got to go, Lilah, someones here. I'll call you later, K? Bye," I said before quickly hanging up on her.

I spun my chair back around. "How can I help you—Nick?"

"Are you stalking me or something?" I asked, as his surprised eyes met mine.

He raised an amused brow. "Yes. Yes, I am. I'm working on this documentary called Elizabeth I Don't Know Your Last Or Middle Name A Day In Her Life so I've been following you around ever since I've moved here."

"Out. Out. Out then, no paparazzi, please I look hideous right now." I shooed him away covering my face.

He laughs and I smile. "Alright, What do you actually need?"

"Who says I didn't come here to see you?" he smirks and I gave him a deadpan look. He sighs and leans his hands on the table, fingers splaying out. "I need a book."

I snort, "No shit sherlock. What kind of book, there's like a million," I wave a hand around at the bookcases behind me.

"It's called When Breathe Becomes Air, you have it?" I pulled up the search system and quickly typed in the name of the book, seeing where to find it.

"Is it by Paul Kalanithi?" I asked and he gave me a nod. "Ok then follow me," I got up from my chair and led us to the section where the book was.

"So, I didn't know you worked here," he questioned as I scanned the many shelves.

I shrug, "I don't technically work here. I just volunteer. I come by whenever I have free hours; sometimes Mrs. Opal—the librarian—calls me to come by if she has an emergency or something."

My eyes lock in on the book's small spine and I reach up on my toes to try and reach it. This however does little to prompt me to reach it and instead I'm just dangling on my toes and stretching my arm out in an odd-looking stretch getting nowhere near enough.

Nick leans on the bookcase beside me, looking down with dancing eyes and watching the scene in front of him unfold. "Need help?"

"Nope," I grunt and stretch my stance more. "Almost got it."

"You sure?"

"Yep. Just—one—more—yeah never mind you get it." I relax my feet on the ground and pull my arm down giving Nick an awkward smile.

His grin is dimpled as he reaches over me and slides it off the shelf, barely even stretching his arm to get it.

"Show off," I grumble.

He winks at me, "yep."

I roll my eyes, half-heartedly, and walk back to the desk, Nick following. "You wanna check it out right?" I ask, sitting down and grabbing the book he hands to me. He nods and I scan it, quickly making a card for him as well. "Have it back in two weeks, ok?"