[16] a breakup for a makeup

Marlee's POV

"Alright everyone, so today we will be working on stunning. Stunning is one of the most useful spells in your arsenal. It's a wizard's bread and butter really," Harry stood on one end of the room while little Nigel was on the other. The rest of us lined up like a runway. "So come on, then, Nigel. Give it your best shot," Harry encouraged.

Nigel looked timid but took one big step and flicked his wand, "Stupefy!" Harry was shot in the air as was Nigel. Multiple gasps came from the group.

Harry stood up, grunting, "Good. Not bad at all, Nigel. Well done." Nigel quickly scurried to the side of the room with the other students.

Fred raised his hand, pretending to be eager to get called on. Harry rolled his eyes and called his name. "I think George and I—"

"Would like to try it next!" George finished Fred's sentence with a grin.

Harry shook his head. "I have a feeling that's not going to end well. Why don't you try Ginny, Fred?"

Fred's mouth fell open. "Ginny?! You think Ginny is more my level?" Ginny sniggered under her breath.

"Well come on then," Harry smiled, purposely ignoring Fred's question. Ginny skipped to her end of the room while Fred muttered things under his breath and kicked his way to the other end.

Ginny's smile slowly turned to concentration as she focused on Fred. Fred narrowed his eyes on her as well but had a slight smirk on his face. Fred lifted his wand as he was about to say the incantation but Ginny beat him to it and he fell on his bum just like Harry and Nigel. Ginny smiled innocently while others in the room stifled their giggles. Fred pouted and walked back to George, who gave him a sympathetic pat on the back but I could tell he was holding in his laughter as well.

"It's alright Fred. Everyone will get a chance eventually," Harry grinned and Fred mocked him.

As Harry said, we all took turns having our go at it. Hermione stunned Ron, which wasn't a surprise. Then Parvati went against Padma, Katie took on Alicia and we went through the group two by two. I didn't go for a while seeing that I was the odd one out of the people I knew well. They felt bad about it but I didn't mind. If anything it would probably be easier going against someone I didn't know.

"Alright who hasn't gone yet?" Harry asked the group.

Fred raised George's hand for him. "Georgie still needs to go." George quickly put his hand down and scowled at Fred.

I took a step back from the group to try and hide in the shadows until Angelina spoke up, "Marlee hasn't either!" My eyes grew wide as I glared at her.

"Oh no that's—" I began to stall but Harry interrupted me.

"Brilliant! C'mon now Marlee, George," he smiled, obliviously, "don't be shy!"

I plastered on a fake smile and slowly walked opposite of George who was playing with his wand and didn't look up until Neville gave the go. It was the first time we'd made eye contact since our dispute. I could feel the tension rise in the room but I tried to push away all of those thoughts and just focus on the spell. Not a second passed before I immediately said, "Stupefy," and George was shot in the air. I heard quiet cheers from the girls and I quickly shuffled back to the side.

Even though the whole ordeal lasted about five seconds, it felt like an eternity. Looking at George again, it was like I noticed things about him I'd never noticed before—like I was looking at him for the first time again. I couldn't tell if that moment made the brick wall between us taller or shorter.