Chapter ten - The Other Side of the Story

Max's POV

Tri had come to our room asking for sports clothing. I knew that Kate hadn't brought any, so I looked among my things for something she could wear. I took one of my "Northwestern lacrosse" t-shirts and threw it to her. Then I also took a pair of black shorts that I knew could fit her and gave them to her.

"Try to make these work" I smiled and she smiled back.

"Thanks Maxiiii" She almost laughed. She made me blush a bit.

Fuck.

 She walked out of the room, and then is when shit got real.

"What was that, Max?" Kate asked me.

"What are you talking about, Katelyn" I responded trying to play it cool. I started trying to organize my things. Shit, I was a mess.

"Why did you give her your clothes? That's a so 'she is my girlfriend' move." She shouted.

"What are you talking about? She is my best friend and you didn't give her clothes. She wanted to go to the gym, why shouldn't I lend her a t-shirt that I wear to sleep?" I tried to make a point.

"What is the whole point of this trip anyways? You didn't even want to bring me. You wanted to share room with her!" She was freaking out.

"She wanted to meet her idols and her parents wouldn't help her. Dude, I have money. I can pay a hotel like this. It's nothing. Besides I know how much she would love meeting One Direction. She would be happy" I kept going.

Kate looked angry, really angry.

"What's wrong sweetie?" I tried to find out what was wrong with her.

"Well you, Maximilian Austin, just called me a dude" She was furious.

"I'm sorry, dear, I didn't realize" I tried to make things better.

"No, you listen to me. Stop it with the dear things. I am not your dear. Why are you even dating me? You like her, Max" She replied a little bit calmer now.

"I...I..."

"Don't deny it. You are too obvious. I tried to live with it for a while, but I can't do it anymore". She confessed.

Fuck my life.

I didn't say anything.

"Just tell me that you don't like her. Say it truthfully and I'll stay." She asked me.

Before I opened my mouth, she interrupted me. "No lies, I will realize".

We paused.

"I do like her, Kate." I looked at the ground. "But I do like you too. And I won't date her, ever. I enjoy being with you, and I don't want it to change. I don't want us to end."

"We'll be separated anyways. You are still in college and I'll be in Arkansas with my family"

I felt guilty. Too guilty.

"What do you want to do then?" I asked her.

"Goodbye, Maxi" she pronounced and my heart skipped a beat "Go get your girl. She's the one for you, I am not."

She hugged me and we stayed like that for a second.

"Can we friends though?" I asked naively "I don't wanna lose you. I like you too much for that"

She nodded in return

"Of course that we can be friends." She confirmed "I love you, Max."

"I love you too, Kate" I smiled softly.

***

I fell asleep after Kate left. I stayed like that until the night. From then on, my life had been miserable. Then, I remembered that I was already 21. I got to the street and wandered with no destination. I stopped at a bar and ordered a few drinks. I stayed there until the next day, when I got back to the hotel to take some pills to stop that unbearable head ache. I showered and changed. I then told myself that I was gonna confess Astrid how I felt about her. I had to.

"Wanna go for an ice cream?" I asked as soon as she opened the door.

"Maximilian, look at your watch. 7:30 am." She entered to her room. She was mad at me, for sure.

"Then later?" I chuckled, she smiled back.

"Okay baby. But you pay. I'm pooor" She screamed and I smiled.

"Of course. I'll be here in 2 hours, so you can sleep a bit more" I explained.

"Good, I'll see you, pretty boy."

***

"Liam was so cute though. We took like twenty selfies. I will change my Facebook picture into one of those. Look at this one" She showed me her phone and I smiled.

"You look pretty" I confirmed and she smiled.

"He looks pretty. He is pretty." She smiled even wider. "Ugh, that Zayn was so fucking stupid makes me nauseous".

"Pop stars" I said and she cracked out.

"I WANNA DATE ZAYN" she screamed scaring me.

"Good, good. Now chill" I was scared, she smiled.

***

So after she asked for her mega big ice cream, we walked to the hotel. Of course that she was judging me for buying mint ice cream for myself, rather than pistachio. I asked her if she wanted to eat lunch with me and she accepted. I tried to play it cool, as if it was just a "by the way, we should go eat lunch", but in reality I would ask her out when we were in the restaurant.

The perfect plan.

And it would have been more perfect if fucking Zayn Malik wouldn't have been in the lobby waiting for Astrid as we got to the hotel.

Of course that she would go with him.

I mean, he talked sweetly and looked at her with love eyes. I think that the guy liked her.

Oh, but he was engaged or something, right?

False alarm, that guy wouldn't cause any problem. Most probably he only wanted to apologize for being an ass the day before. I thought that as if was important for Tri, I should let her go, right?

Anyways, I hoped that she would make it for dinner. A couple hours wouldn't make the difference. I guess that it was better this way, so that I could prepare the speech of things that I could tell her.

After she left, I went to eat a simple lunch and I then went to the "Magnificent Mile" to buy something for Tri. I went to Tiffany's and picked a nice necklace for her. I knew her, she would love it.

She would be mine.

***

The day turned into night and I was waiting for Astrid, but she never came. She responded one of my texts saying that she was having a blast with One Direction. She also mentioned something about a fight. I didn't quite understand. I guess that I'll have to wait until tomorrow. It'll be worth it.

_________________________________________________________

SO a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who's reading this! It really means a lot. I am also putting a lot of effort on this, so I really hope that you enjoy it. If you like it, you can let me know it by liking the chapter or commenting on it.

Love you!

Ingrid x

(Edit 3/30/16)

Soooooooo sad Kate on top :( I really feel sorry for her because her whole relationship with Max was based on nothing because Astrid :/

Pleaasee, don't forget to vote and comment your opinion! I really love reading each one of your comments! Love y'all!