CHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13:
New enemy.
Sakura

"Huh? Did the ground just shake?"

"I think so. Intensity 2 or so?"

Nanami-san wanted me to join a newly revived Itadori on his mission, surprising me with him and having me cry at the fact that he was actually alive as well as get mad at him for keeping it a secret.

"Ijichi-sans' not answering! Should I be the one to ask him?" Itadori looked at me.

"You think I would do better? I'll stumble through my words," I waved shyly at Junpei, who just looked away nervously.

He's so awkward.

"I wonder what's going on?" Itadori wondered aloud as I sat myself next to Junpei.

"Junpei, I'm Naya Sakura. I don't know if I introduced myself before," I stuck my hand out and he hesitantly shook it.

"J-Junpei Yoshino. . .a-ah, sorry if my hand feels clampy. I'm not used to pretty girls being nice to me," I blushed.

He thinks I'm pretty?

That's so cute.

"Well, they're not so pretty then. All I would see is ugly girls who don't know what kindness is," I explained, and he nodded with a soft smile.

How can he be working with him?

He's so timid and sweet.

"Forget it! I'm just going to ask!" Itadori burst out.

"Listen, there were people who died at the theater you went to the other day. Did you happen to see anything?" He questioned and Junpei looked surprised.

"A creepy thing like this, maybe?" He held up the puny Curse.

"No, I didn't. I've only recently started seeing those clearly."

He's lying.

My enhanced hearing allowed me to pick up the skip in his heart, an irregular beat, that happened as he told Itadori what he wanted to hear.

"I see. Well, I've got nothing else to ask, then!"

Seriously?

Just like that?

"Huh? That's it?" He asked in a surprised tone.

"But could you wait until my. . .I guess he's like my boss, shows up?" Itadori sat down on the other side of him.

"Yeah, sure."

"Thanks!"

Maybe. . .maybe he wasn't lying?

I tried making myself feel better about someone like Junpei working with Mahito by rationalizing what I heard. Peoples hearts irregularly beat all the time when they're nervous, and he's clearly someone who avoids conflict and confrontations.

Nervous. . .just like Megumi.

I smiled when I thought of the first time we met. The girls dorms were on the other side of the campus and I was exploring, unbeknownst to myself that I had wandered to the boys dorms and I opened a door I thought wouldn't be occupied.

But I found a boy reading and quickly apologized and tried leaving.

"Wait!" He grabbed my wrist and I flinched.