Drawing a Line

Shouto's life has become a lot more exciting since he met the Midoriya's. 
His daily routine was a balancing act between the joy the small family gave him and a deep fear his father brought and how the man could destroy everything. 
Of course, there was also the worry about his mother. 
Was she alright? How was she feeling? Would he see her again one day? Had he lost her forever? Did she hate him now? Did she still fear him? 
It… hurt. 

Of course, Izuku tried to take away his fears and sorrows and to distract him, but how long would it take until his father realized that his declaration was half a bluff and took his angel away anyway?! 
He couldn't let it be just a threat then but would have to run away for real. 
And if Endeavor then really hurt Mum…? Then… he really didn't know. 

But Inko and Izuku were there for him now and Mum had burned him  – even though she surely didn't mean to!
It was just confusing and made his head- and heart-ache. 

"We're going to take off the bandage today." he was told by the doctor that took care of Izuku and him for two days now since their actual doctor was on vacation. 
It was no question, no offer, it was an order and Shouto just silently stared at his bedsheet and wished for Izuku to be here. 
When he was confronted with situations like this, his voice always got trapped in his throat and his body froze. It was as if he was dragged away for training by Enji again, without being able to fight it. 
And if Izuku was here he would reprimand the doctor and tell him to leave him alone; but like this, he just trembled a bit as the man stood next to him and began to take off the bandages. 

"A scar is left. It will fade over the years, but it will never be completely gone.
And your eye will be rather photosensitive now but shouldn't be like that too long. You won't be able to see much more than outlines with it, but otherwise, everything is perfectly healed. 
When you feel you're ready to see yourself, just go into the bathroom and look in the mirror."

And then the man was gone again and just left him alone. 

He nervously touched his face. The skin around his eye felt strange and he wasn't sure if he wanted to see it. 
It was surely an unsightly look. 

For a long time, he just sat on his bed and stared at his hands. 
What would Izuku think of him, now that his eyes were visible? 
Would he compare him to his father as well and conclude that he was too similar to him? And what about Inko? 
He didn't want them to hate him as well! 

The door handle was pressed down and he hid under his blanket so that his friend wouldn't have to deal with seeing his face. 

"Shouchan? Shou, is everything alright?" 

He shook his head and wrapped the blanket tighter around himself – he wanted the bandages back so that he could hide behind them. 
Dad would tell him that he was a coward and that heroes can't be afraid, but he really didn't want to be a hero right now, he wanted to be a scaredy-cat. 

"Okay… that's okay. You don't need to feel good, you can feel bad. …Was it your Dad?" 

He hesitated shortly beneath his hideout, then he shrugged. It wasn't like Enji didn't indirectly contribute.

"So it's partly his fault… uhmm… was… was it a nightmare?" 

A head-shaking was the answer. 

"Good. That is nice, that you slept well. It isn't my fault, is it?" 

He almost bolted out from under the blanket to get that absolutely silly idea out of his friend's head, because how could Izuku – Izuku! – have any fault for any pain of another person?!
Instead, he hissed a small, insulted "No!".