chapter eight

chapter eight ~ advantage

🔅🔅🔅

SUNNY'S POV

After getting ice cream cones (Diego got salted caramel and I got mint chocolate chip) I decided to allow him to drive my car. He insisted on driving back to his house himself. I don't get him sometimes, but I allowed it.

I lean up against the window in the passenger seat. Sitting in the side seat was rare for me because I've had to drive everywhere since Lavinia was born. She was defiantly smart enough to drive a car, but the law is the law and we must obey.. sometimes.

We started to get in to the shady part of town where all the kooks lived. It was ominous and misty like an alleyway in a movie. The street lights were burning yellow LED to give the street some sort of brightness before dusk. Of course this is where Diego lived. The part of town where he the most crime occurred. Where he could still be a hero.

Diego drifted the car towards an empty parking lot in front of very suspicious building. "This where you plan to kill me Diggy?" I ask cheerfully. He gave me one of those looks that basically told me to shut up. Diego would never say such things to my face so I understood the implication.

He got out of the car and I follow. He hands me back my keys and let out a huge sigh. We were outside of... a gym? "Mi casa su casa risueño," Diego announces.

We head indoors to find men fighting in boxing rings. It gave me flashbacks from when we were kids and Luther would demolish punching bags. An older man wearing a beanie hat kept yelling at the lanky males who never would get better.

How could Diego live in a place like this. He guided me to the back of the gym where it seemed to be where he lived. Multiple doors were in the back yet one in particular was perched open.

Diego slipped out a knife in between his fingers as he approached it. I clench my fists together wielding energy forces just in case of emergency. Without sparing a glance, Diego threw his knife accurately hitting the target he looked for.

"What the..." a gruff voice came from inside. I flicked the door fully open and the both of us stand there to see the person we both disliked the most. "You could of killed me."

"If I wanted you dead you'd be dead already," Diego told Luther. I walked into his 'home' passing my other brother who was sitting in a tiny rocking chair. I found a spot on a metal folding chair in the corner to sit in.

They started to arguing about something as I started to doze off. A day without coffee does make one tired...

FLASHBACK

Reginald and Vanya stood on the top of the spiral set of stairs. At the bottom were seven children in green tracksuits hungry for the chance to be the best. Sunny had her hair in two short braids and her freckles prominently shimmered across her face.

As the old man finished writing his observations in his book, he gave the powerless girl a nod signaling her to blow the whistle. This set off the rest of the kids in a rampage as they raced to the top. Sunny was always the kindest of the bunch, but she spared no expense in her training.

She pushed a red energy force towards her siblings making them fall behind. The control of their knees now belonged to her as they buckled backwards falling down. She ran up the stairs as fast as her little legs could take her.

"Sunny cheated!" Diego complained trying to catch up.

"She adapted." Seeing that powers were being used Five blinked to be beside the girl who barley broke a sweat. Wanting to win Sunny flicked a little red energy orb at Five throwing his shoulder out of proportions. He groaned in pain rotating inside his shoulder.

"Ow Sunny, what was that for?" The girl's empathy started to rise and she stopped running upwards. She went over to Five worried about him. The other children started passing them, but Sunny didn't care. The boy was the only person on her mind.

"Oh my god! Five I'm so sorry I really didn't mean to-" She got cut off by the boy as he blinked away to the top of the stairs. Sunny feeling betrayed ran the rest of the way up the stairs finishing last in a seven person race.

"Number Zero," Reginald's shrill voice scolded. "You can not let your emotions get the best of you. If that were a real life situation you could of jeopardized the whole mission possibly killing one of your siblings." The rest of the kids looked solemnly at their sister. Like the rest of them she was ridiculed by their father in a cruel punishing way.

"Yes sir it won't happen again."

"Apologizes won't be accepted for silly school girl behavior." None of the siblings saw, but the girls eyes went red. She was angry. So angry that she could of killed him with one swipe of her hand. That was the first time she had ever felt a feeling of hatred towards someone. "Now all of you get dressed. There is a surprise for all of you in the foyer."

Sunny was seated in the tattooist chair getting her arm cleaned. Her face polished in fear as the tattooist started to refill his needle. Five looked over at her to see she was terrified. They all were.

He would of jumped out of his seat and held on to her hand if that meant she would feel safer. That would be case if their father wasn't standing right next to her. Number Five didn't wish to get in trouble any time soon.

The needle started to pierce across Sunny's wrist creating an umbrella design. Silent tears travelled down her face as the artist worked. She kept quiet knowing that if she didn't Reginald would be even more furious with her. So she let the voice inside her scream without moving her mouth once.

As pain seared through Sunshine's veins, Vanya awaited at the top of the stairs longing to join her siblings no matter the pain it would take. To feel like she belonged.

FLASHBACK OVER

NO ONE's POV

After forcing Luther out of his home, Diego turned back to his sister to find her dozed off on the metal chair. He chucked seeing her folded in a pretzel trying to fit on the chair.

Diego lifted his sister into his arms placing her in his bed. He covered her with a knit blanket tucking her in. The extra police radio the man kept in his room started to static speaking gibberish words.

"Disturbance at Gimbal Brothers Department store...neighbors heard shooting...break in..." Diego wondered if he wanted to get in trouble again for going to another crime scene. Well if he didn't talk to anyone not touch anything he shouldn't get in trouble, right? So Diego scribbled a quick note in case Sunny woke up and left to do his work as a vigilante.

audri speaks!
you thought I was going to go right back into that cliff hanger? yeah right...

audri speaks!you thought I was going to go right back into that cliff hanger? yeah right

Hope you have a great day/night!
~audri☔️