3| Past & Present

There are some things that you don't expect and then there are some things you reeeeaallly don't expect and well, today, the latter of that statement was the case.

I was on my way to work and I dropped in on the restaurant where I order my coffee, as I do every morning, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a familiar looking trio in the booth off to the side.

I kept stealing glances back their way the whole time I was waiting for my coffee.

Finally, I had the drink secured and I decided to say hi.

After all, I hadn't seen them in years.

"Hey guys!" I grinned at them.

Hermione Granger spilled her orange juice all over the table and Ronald Weasley screeched at his saturated toast.

Harry, the one I really came over here for, didn't react.

He only looked confused.

"Malfoy! What are you trying to do?" Ron glared at me.

"I was only saying hi," I said defensively.

"Well we can't exactly talk right now," Hermione said hastily.

"Why not?"

"Uh Harry here needs to get to... his uh... doctors appointment," she told me.

"Oi, how come I haven't seen anything in the papers about you, Golden Boy?" I looked at him.

Once again Harry looked blank.
His lips pursed into an "O" shape as if he were trying to come up with something.

"He has to go-," Ron said loudly and pulled Harry after him.

I stared at the sight.
Harry craned his head around and stared back at me as they flew out the doors.

"Okay, what's going on?" I demanded.

"We're not supposed to tell anyone," Hermione looked down at her feet, "but Harry isn't... he isn't Harry anymore,"

"Well we've all changed over the years," I said charitably.

"No Draco, you don't understand," she shook her head, "shortly after the battle he had a depression episode and became mute. Then one day Ron and I came home to check on him and he just wouldn't wake up,"

She drew in another heavy sigh before continuing.
"He was in a coma for the past 3 months but when he woke up he had no memory of his life after second year, he doesn't remember what he did or who he was,"

I was stunned. I gestured to the now open booth, I needed to sit down.

She nodded her permission and I took the space.

"He remembers nothing?" I whispered.

"Nothing," she repeated.

"So he doesn't... he doesn't remember what he did for me?"

"Draco I'm sorry I know how you had felt about him," she smiled sadly.

"I do feel, I still feel," I laid my head on my hands.

Getting to work no longer seemed like a high priority.

"They're trying something kind of new therapy for him, Harry's actually going to the doctors today," she said.

"That's good," I said.

"Draco I'm really sorry," she looked at me with pity.

"I'm sorry too," I sighed.