Chapter 36

The long weekend off from classes ended way too soon. And then the rest of the month flew by. Before I knew it, it was Halloween and I was getting dragged to what I was told was supposed to be the biggest party of the year to celebrate.

I didn't particularly want to go. I hadn't been to a party in a while, not since before the three of us became official. Last time I was at a party, I watched Marc making out with some girl and John secretly made out with me. What was it going to be like at this one? I knew our relationship wasn't the biggest news on campus anymore, but would that make a difference in a party setting?

They've been to the other parties, and I know they've been fine at them. Izzy texted me from one saying Marc and John were making out with each other. The only reason I wasn't there joining them was that party nights seemed to be the best time to catch up on all my homework for the week, since there were less distractions.

But not this week. Not for Halloween. John made sure I knew I definitely couldn't miss this one.

Not that I had any idea why.

It's not like we even had costumes. I didn't even know if it was a costume party or not. All I knew was that I was given an address and a time to show up. Marc and John would meet me there, since they were coming straight from an away game with the rest of the football team.

So I dragged TJ with me. And TJ brought Austin.

I didn't mind that Austin was coming, too. At least that way TJ had someone to be with when John and Marc eventually found me. I had a feeling I'd end up alone with them at some point during the party, if all went well. And I think TJ was hoping for the same thing to happen with him and Austin.

As far as their relationship, I still wasn't entirely sure what it was. I don't think TJ knew for sure either. All he told me was that they'll kiss when they're alone together and they spent a lot more time together than they used to. I knew TJ wanted a real, committed relationship, but I think he was too nervous he'd completely lose Austin if he were to ask for that.

The party was already in full swing by the time we got there. Some people were in costumes, although it looked like the entire football team decided to go as themselves - each one of them wearing their jerseys. The girls who dressed up were more creative, mostly all some "sexy" verison of an otherwise typical costume. And, of course, everyone had already started drinking.

"Why are we here again?" Austin asked, giving TJ and me an amused look.

"Blame Spencer," TJ said, nudging my arm. "He's too in love with his boyfriends to say no to them."

I shook my head, but didn't say anything. Love might still be a bit of a stretch, even if it's been two months - one month with all three of us together. I could definitely tell I was headed in that direction, but I wasn't there yet.

I didn't think they were either. Marc had once accidentally said it, then took it back, but that's the only time either one of them mentioned anything close to love. But, whatever we were all feeling, I doubted it was a conversation to have at a Halloween party, when the two of them would most likely be drinking.

Stepping inside the house, we immediately got hit with overwhelmingly loud music and the scent of alcohol, like someone had recently spilled a whole bottle right next to the door. I already regretted coming.

"Spencer!"

I looked across the room to see Izzy squeezing through people to get to us. Her red hair was in two frizzy braids and there was already a drink in her hand. For a costume, she seemed to be Anna, from Frozen, if I could guess correctly from her dress.

"I didn't know you guys were coming!" she screamed, looking back and forth between TJ and me. Then her eyes landed on Austin. "Hi, I'm Izzy." She smiled widely, like she was ready to start flirting with him.

Before I could say anything, TJ grabbed Austin's hand as he introduced himself. Austin gave TJ a weird look, but didn't take back his hand. Hopefully, TJ's jealousy pushed them closer to becoming an official couple.

"Come on!" Izzy screamed, not seeming bothered at all at the fact that she keeps trying to hit on gay guys. "We gotta get you boys some drinks!"

As we followed her toward the kitchen, someone grabbed my arm and pulled me away from them. I was about to get angry, until I realized it was John who had grabbed me. He was wearing his jersey, like the rest of his teammates, and was definitely already tipsy.

"I'm so glad you're here," he said next to my ear. His hands wrapped around my back, holding me as close to him as possible.

I didn't complain, hugging him back tightly. Then his lips found mine and I forgot about everyone else in the room. My mind blocked out the loud, thumping bass and just focused on him. The feel of him pressed against me, of his lips on mine.

Until he was yanked out of my hold.

One second, he was kissing me, the next, he was on the floor, rubbing the back of his head. I was about ready to yell at whoever just interrupted so rudely, before my eyes landed on Marc. He was clearly pissed at something, glaring down at John like he was about to murder him for something.

"What was that for?" I asked, stepping over to John to help him up.

Marc finally looked at me and his expression softened. "Shit. I thought he was making out with someone else. I didn't know you were here yet."

"You really thought I would fucking cheat?" John asked, shoving Marc back a few steps. "What the hell's wrong with you?"

"Guys-" I tried, but Marc only talked over me.

"How the fuck was I supposed to know Spencer was here?"

"Guys."

"Who else would I be kissing?"

"Guys!"

Finally, that got their attention. They stopped shouting at each other to look at me. It almost seemed like everyone was watching us now, even the music didn't seem as loud, but maybe that was just me getting used to it.

"Please stop fighting," I said. "I thought you were over all this arguing with each other."

Marc sighed, shaking his head. "I think I had too much to drink."

"No, duh," John mocked.

I shot him a look, which wiped the grin off his face. Why couldn't they just behave? Was it really because of the alcohol? They'd been so good lately. I didn't want drinking too much to be the cause of a major rift forming between them again.

"Well, at any rate," Marc said, sounding a bit more sober than he had before. "I'm glad you're here now, Spence."

I nodded, then looked at John. "What's so special about this party, anyway?" I asked.

He shrugged. "It's Halloween. Maybe I just wanted to celebrate with both guys I love."

I stared at him in shock, absolutely positive I heard him wrong over the loud music. Marc didn't seem to hear it at all - either that or he already knew, for some reason. But before I could ask John to repeat himself, he grabbed both my wrist and Marc's and dragged us further into the living room, where the makeshift dancefloor was located.

Maybe it was just something that slipped out because he was drunk. I wasn't going to put any stake in his confession tonight for that reason. Tomorrow, if he said it again, I'd believe it. But, until then, I was going to forget I heard it.

A/N: I know I've been really bad about updating recently, and I'm so sorry about that! But my thesis is finally completed and handed in, which means I'll have a lot more time to focus on writing this story. I think we're coming up on the end, too, although I have absolutely nothing planned for the rest of it yet.