Chapter 29: Moving On

Rose POV

Lissa and Christian had invited all of us into their home for an after party. We had spent the whole day talking and having fun.

Lissa and Christian were cooking in the kitchen and I was sitting on the bar stool watching them sipping a glass of water as Eddie and Dimitri were deep in conversation.

Christian popped a bottle of wine and offered me a glass, “Drink up Rose. You deserve it.”

I held my glass of water close and sighed, “Not tonight Christian.”

He shrugged offered the glass to Adrian as he walked into the room.

His eyes met mine as he walked into the foyer. I got up and followed him. He was leaning against the stairwell looking tired and older then he was. The glass of wine was already history.

He looked at me and sighed, “It’s done.”

I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. He put the empty glass on the small table next to him and looked at me.

“I did what you wanted Rose. Now I want to know the truth.”

I looked down not offering any words. I wouldn’t tell him. I couldn’t. Because I didn’t even know the truth.

He lifted my chin and concern etched every feature of his face, “You’re pregnant aren’t you?”

His voice was low but it was masked with so much concern.

I gulped, “I don’t know. I won’t know for a few more weeks.”

Adrian let go of my chin and cursed.

Then he looked at me his eyes fierce, “Let’s hope for all of our sakes that you aren’t. Not when Lissa’s head is on the line like you said. One slip and she could die. The knife is at her throat already. Have you heard the gossip? Even talked to the public? This race is a dangerous one. And her guardian does not need to be on the sidelines fighting for her own life when she needs her the most.”

He was right. I looked at him and stood tall, “Then we pray it doesn’t come down to that.”

Then I walked away back into the kitchen.

Alana POV

I felt somewhat older.

Okay, I know my birthday was the day before but I felt older then my sixteen years.

I refused to think about Eric but it was like telling my body not to breathe.