Roulette

The very next week, Y/N's precious book was hand delivered to Draco Malfoy's desk right before Arithmancy with Professor Vector. The Slytherin sent a look at Y/N who winked back at him knowingly. Now that she had no worry for the safety of her prized possession, the girl was much more content with her bet.

Granted, the girl could've given Malfoy the book the day after their fateful bet, but the young L/N was still a simple teenage girl with priorities. Like schoolwork, setting the blonde Slytherin girl's robes on fire, tattooing a permanent bite mark onto the unknown quidditch boy's hand, studying with Hermione, convincing Ginny, Caroline, and Hermione to switch where they hung out to the quad where Cedric hung out, reading in the library. The usual.

Let's be completely honest now. The bet had evaded Y/N's mind entirely until the night before her next meeting, and the girl had resorted to breaking into the library to retrieve the book of spells she'd needed days ago. Falling out of her bed and tripping out of the portrait hole on her journey to the library in her old bunny pajamas was certainly nowhere near any of Y/N's proudest moments. Truly, procrastination at it's finest.

"Mister Malfoy. I recommend you put that book away before I confiscate it," Professor Vector's sharp voice echoed.

Curious gazes were thrown at the spotlighted boy who stuffed the text into his bookbag and cursed out at anyone close enough to fall victim to his foul words. Hermione had asked about the smile that her friend attempted to obscure behind her robe sleeves, and Y/N had said nothing of it. After all, how could Y/N tell her bushy-haired companion that she found it cute how quick Malfoy was to jump at the tale of two lovers?

Later that gloomy, cold afternoon, the girl was accompanied to the library by Harry, who had still not quelled his frustration from the Pansy fiasco weeks ago. At the very least, Y/N allowed her ever loyal friend to walk with her.

Then he'd asked how much longer Y/N would have to meet with the Slytherin. The girl bit harshly into her lip out of guilt. Well truthfully, her rendezvous with Draco might never stop that year if-or more accurately, when- she won her bet.

"Two more weeks," she muttered quietly. "Almost done with the project."

The two came to a quiet halt in front of the grand doors of the library, and Y/N agreed to regroup with her friends in the common room. Because really, where else would the Gryffindors regroup? The Slytherin common room?

The library was much darker than usual that day and the following weeks after that. The loss of sight just happened to be one of the many downsides to using torches and lanterns as a source of light around their school. As the girl glanced at the many windows that accompanied her path, she'd come to realize that a storm would be arriving at Hogwarts soon, bringing along shadowy clouds and gloomy weather.

Malfoy was the striking image of how she'd seen him for the first meeting. However, the boy was far more ensnared in the mini Shakespearian universe than he was in what lay outside the dust covered windows of their school.

In fact, the boy had been quite consumed by his dainty little book all day. It hadn't been Y/N's intention to eavesdrop on the Slytherins on their merry way to ancient ruins that afternoon, but she couldn't help but catch the words of a fretting Parkinson. An excitement in being the only student in Hogwarts to know the reason behind Malfoy's sudden infatuation with reading brewed deep within the girl. Though it was extremely plausible that the boy had been a closeted bookworm from the beginning.

"It fits, when such a villain is a guest: I'll not endure him," Malfoy snarked as he lifted his head with a smirk.

'Damn it Malfoy, why must you be so dramatic?' Y/N mused to herself. "He shall be endured," she recited off the top of her head. "Am I the master here? Or you?"