Chapter 5

She didn't go and find Kate after, too angry at Matt and unsure about Kate. Why had she been taking inhibitors she thought. She had sent an apology to Kate saying something had come up and she had to work in the arts college for the rest of the day. Jason had frowned at her irritable mood but said nothing until she slammed her laptop down after lunch in annoyance.

"What's happened to you?" He asked with a sigh, Emily frowned, "You get your heat for a weekend and it's like not getting fucked has turned you into a raving monster."

"I'm sorry," Emily sighed, "I just had a bad morning."

Emily recounted the morning events and when she had finished Jason was frowning heavily at her over the laptop.

"He's an idiot" He growled as he shook his head.

"Who?"

"Matt, obviously," Jason waved her off, "He's jealous that Kate can get your attention without filling the room with alpha musk."

"Surely not" Emily denied.

"I bet it is," Jason countered, "Kate's probably an insanely strong alpha who can get you to do what she wants at her bidding if she wasn't on the inhibitors."

"That's not possible and you know it," Emily laughed at his accusation.

"It's a better reason than sneaking into your pants."

Emily paused, she hated that his argument was stronger than her own.

"I highly doubt she can control people that's just ridiculous," Emily argued.

"Maybe not control but there will be a better reason than getting into your pants," He dismissed.

A week or so passed with little or no word from Kate until she was sat on the couch in her apartment. Jason and Madi stood in front of her with their hands on their hips.

"You're coming," Madi told her.

"You have fifteen minutes to get your butt in that little blue dress," Jason ordered.

"Guys, I'm really not in the mood I've had a long week" Emily tried.

"All the reason you're coming out with us," Madi argued. In the end, an hour later she was walking into a club in a dress she felt exposed far too much of her legs and heels she could barely walk in. The club wasn't full and she could tell students did not frequent the place. A few drinks later and people began to pour in, they were in a small booth at the back, Jason and Madi commenting on potential hookups. She was about to call it a night when something caught her eye. Behind the bar was Kate, except Kate wasn't in her usual scruffy clothes. Familiar black jeans were there but a crisp white shirt with bracers over her slim frame. Her hair was tied back in a loose bun with wisps of blonde falling around her face,

"Another round?" Emily asked. She knew the nod before they answered, she made a point to stand off to the side waiting.

"What can I get you?" Kate's gravelled tone filled her ears.

"A vodka cranberry, a vodka lemonade and vodka coke," Emily rattled off, Kate looked up with a smirk.

"What's a good southern girl like you doing in a dive like this?" She asked.

"My friends dragged me out," Emily admitted. Kate chuckled as she made the drinks.

"I didn't expect you to work in a place like this" Emily commented as three glasses were set in front of her.

"I'm not what a lot of people expect."

The music thumped loudly and Emily found herself getting lost in blue eyes.