Chapter 6

The coffee mornings became more frequent after that. Madi had called it a rebellion, Jason had called it experimenting. Emily hadn't really thought about what it was. Nearly every morning they met at the coffee shop on Main Street, the alpha would be leaning waiting on their order. They would then walk to the campus where she would go to the library or to the office. Kate would either go to class or the library in the hopes of getting work done. Emily would listen happily as she spoke of the day and what she had to do or what deadlines to do. They nearly always got onto the topic of roommates, namely Ash bringing random women back to the dorm or Madi blaring rap music at 11.30 at night. Kate often brought coffee from her flat but continued to meet her, regardless.

The morning was the same, Emily was walking down the street as she entered the coffee shop. Kate stood in the queue except where she would normally be looking down at her phone or reading the book that Emily knew she carried with her. That morning was different, Kate was stood on the phone, her brow creased as she listened to the person on the phone.

"I don't care, Jackson, stop being an asshole," She hissed. Emily frowned, who was Jackson?

"I'm not going to listen to your stupid excuses if you're just going to do it over and over again," Kate sighed, she glanced up as Emily approached, "Look, I have to go, let me know what they decide and if you're going."

Kate hung up the phone as Emily asked, "Everything ok?"

"Oh yeah, just having to take care of some stuff," The alpha dismissed as the coffee was placed on the bar. They walked to class, Emily told her about her planned day. The alpha was oddly quiet. She stopped her hand on the alpha made Kate stop.

"Kate, are you sure you're ok? You look murderous," Emily asked softly. The alpha's jaw tensed the muscle popping slightly.

"I'll be fine, really, it's just family stuff," Kate dismissed, continuing their walk.

"How about you come over to mine tonight? We can watch a movie or something, take your mind off of it?" Emily suggested spontaneously trying to make Kate perk up.

"You don't have to do that but thanks for the offer" Kate smiled softly.

"So you'll be at mine for 8?" Emily asked with a teasing smile. The alpha chuckled with a nod.

Emily was an idiot. She had invited Kate over and she knew so little about her, was she vegetarian or worse vegan? She thought as she stared at the baked pasta dish she had made. Her eyes glanced over the snacks, did she even like any of this stuff? In a panic, she phoned Jason.

"Will you relax," He ordered. "You're totally overthinking this, she's coming over to relax you're not proposing to the woman."

"But Jase what if it's all wrong?" Emily asked in a hiss.

"Ok, just breathe, she's an alpha she's not going to be vegan. She has coffee, right? what kind?"

"Flat white," Emily answered automatically.

"There you go, not vegan," He dismissed.

"But what-" A firm knock came from the door.

"She's here."

"Have fun, use protection," He sang. She hung up on him refusing to listen to his ridiculousness. Emily opened the door to find Kate stood in the doorway. She had a familiar grey jumper on with ripped denim jeans.

"Hey," The alpha greeted.

"Hey," Emily stammered. "I wasn't sure you'd find it," Emily admitted letting the alpha in.