TWO

dianne:
9pm?

lily:
yeah, lets meet there. rose are you still coming?

  i swish my lips from side to side, my fingers hovering over the keyboard. with a heavy sigh i haul my body up and get out of bed, wrapping my blanket around me and clutching my phone in my hand. it's late and i'm not supposed to be awake right now but i hope i'll be able to make up an excuse so ethan doesn't get mad. i just need an answer.

  "daddy."

  no reply.

  cautiously, i move closer to his bed and can just about make out that he's facing the other way. i start to pull at his arm, trying to shake him awake. i repeat his name over and over again until i hear some tired murmuring.

  "what is it rose?"

  i came in here so bravely, knowing what i wanted and with the mindset that i was going to get it but my stomach knots and i back out, turning my phone off before he sees the light from it.

  "i can't sleep."

  he turns around to face me and i rub my eyes. ethan shuffles over in his bed a little and i tiredly throw my blanket on the floor, putting my phone on his bedside table. his strong arms wrap around my body and i nuzzle into him, feeling warm and safe.

  "night baby."

  he whispers, kissing my cheek and burying his head into me. i exhale and close my eyes, holding onto his hand with my own.
-
  "good morning sweetheart."

  i scrunch my eyes up at the brightness in the room and pull ethan's covers over me.

  "hey. none of that."

  he yanks them back and i stretch in bed, sitting up groggily.

  "are you hungry?"

  i nod.

  "words."

  "yes. i'm very hungry."

  he smiles and picks me up like i weigh nothing. i wrap my legs around him and let my head rest on his shoulders.

  "what do you want for breakfast. i can make pancakes, or you can have cereal, or some fruit..."

  we finally reach the kitchen and ethan places me on the counter.

  "please can i have some pancakes."

  ethan smiles and licks his lips while looking at me and then goes over to the fridge. i observe his morning look. messy hair that flops perfectly over his forehead. his side profile really is a sight for sore eyes too. i take in everything about him. his eyebrows, the way his jawline curves, the way his nose flicks a little from this angle.

  "you like staring?"

  a giggle leaves my mouth and i nod my head even though he's not looking at me. i suddenly grow very aware of my appearance. messy, tangled hair that's pushed behind my shoulders. i rub my lips together and they feel slightly chapped. i gently touch my cheeks and they're in need of some moisturising too.

  "i'm coming back."

  "where are you going?"

  he asks, setting the pancake mix on the side and looking at me now.

  "to my room."

  ethan furrows his brows but turns back around to what he was doing and i take that as my cue to leave. i go to the downstairs bathroom and shut the door, gazing hopelessly at myself.