THREE

anxiously, i place my trembling fingers on the back door and twist it in hopes to unlock it. however, sadly, it's locked. with a sigh, i begin to make my way all around the outside of our house before i get to the front door, not sure of what to do next. this door is probably locked too and if i knock it means ethan is going to have to get up and come and answer it, that way he'll definitely know i snuck out if he hadn't already figured it out. i was in such a rush to leave the house that i'd forgotten to take my keys and now i'm screwed.

my heart feels like it's about to burst out of my chest because of how hard it's beating while i attempt to open the door. to my surprise it does open and i move around as quietly as i can, closing it in and then bending over to untie my shoe laces.

i squint my eyes and freeze when the room suddenly fully lights up, casting a shadow of my figure in front of me. slowly, i pull myself up to stand up straight, turning around and seeing ethan.

we both stare at each other; no words being said. i try to read his face, his body language, everything and anything to give me a clue on what's going to happen next but i'm unable to. what's easy for me to tell is that he's tired. his hair is messy and his eyes look dark, like he's been fighting sleep for hours – which he probably has been.

the staring competition continues and when i'm not able to take it anymore i continue sliding off my shoes and putting the in the cupboard.

still nothing is said.

without knowing what to do next, i start to walk past him. i don't know what i was thinking or what i expected to come from that but it was an insanely dumb move on my part.

"have you lost your fucking mind?"

i flinch when he grabs my arm, pulling me close to him. i can't draw my eyes away from his because of how tense the situation is and i've just made it a hundred times worse.

"rose. where were you."

his tone is slow paced now and laced with anger which only makes me a million times more scared.

"i-i w- um. i went o-"

"stop stuttering and answer the god damn question."

when his grip tightens i whimper and try my best to fight any tears.

"out."

i gulp once he lets go of me. i take a step back, trying to distance myself but he begins to stalk towards me.

"out where? with your friends when i told you not to?"

"y-yeah."

he chuckles and i find myself backed up completely against the door. he places his arms above my head and i sigh, slowly accepting the fate that i've brought on myself tonight.

"yeah?"

i nod in confirmation at his taunting repetition of my answer. without another word ethan grabs my hand and pulls me along with him. we walk into the living room and he stops.

"sit."

he points to the nearest armchair and i obediently take a seat as son as he says to, not looking to anger him anymore than i already have.

"i'm coming back. don't move a fucking muscle."

he leaves the room and i let out a shakey breath that i'd been keeping in, rubbing my clammy hands together and then burying them between my thighs and waiting patiently for him to come back.

i almost spring out of my seat when i feel something soft and silky being placed over my eyes, and it happened so quickly that i had no time to react.