Shapeshifter (Book!Hugh X Female!Reader) Part Two

It felt strange; as if all the food I'd eaten that day had disappeared from my stomach and had been replaced with a weird kind of vapour. "I will take you to the house, come along," Miss Peregrine instructed, before walking back through the cave opening. I noticed it was different instantly; the sky looked brighter and the grass on the ground was more lush and green. It was a few minutes' walk to the house and it looked much grander than I'd expected; large, red-bricked and slightly Gothic-looking. The area around it was just as lush as the grass, with trees, topiaries

 The area around it was just as lush as the grass, with trees, topiaries

and even a pond in which the entire house was reflected. In the topiary-decorated garden were two boys who looked around my age, playing football (soccer). I gasped; one of them didn't even seem to have a face... or hands. It was then that I noticed; he was invisible. Miss Peregrine smiled, amused at my surprise. Currently kicking the ball was a boy with a few bees surrounding him, and a pair of steampunk-looking goggles on his face. There was a point where he opened his mouth and a swarm of bees flew out; used to distract the invisible boy so that he could score. I chuckled. I liked bees; there had been quite a few of them surrounding the lavender in our garden at home. They were delighted to find that I could become one of them: I wondered if these ones would be as pleased. "Hugh, Millard, Horace, come and meet ____." They froze when they saw me, two of them smiling cheerfully - I didn't know what the invisible one was doing. One of them was dressed very smartly and looked a few years younger than me.

"Horace Somnusson," he introduced, holding out his hand for me to shake.

"Hi, nice to meet you," I replied, shaking his hand. Millard and Hugh both merely said 'hello', though the latter of them looked stunned. Miss Peregrine told me that she had 'something to attend to', so she instructed Hugh to show me around, as well as meet the other wards.

~

"So... what can you do?" He asked timidly as we walked in the direction of the great red-bricked edifice.

"I'm a shape-shifter." I stated. He took off his goggles, letting them hang around his neck, and his bright eyes widened. Nice eyes, I thought, before chuckling at his reaction.

"Can you turn into a bee?" He asked enthusiastically. I was so glad he asked: I shifted and he held out his hand. I landed on his finger. His bees were very surprised, and weren't aggressive. They told me they had a hive inside Hugh. Whoa, I thought; they said he'd gotten his Peculiarity purely by eating honey! I switched back to my human self. "Could you turn into a spider and scare Jacob?"

"Who's-..."

"I'll show you, c'mon." He took my hand and dragged me into the large house. "Can you transform and sit in my hand?" He asked in a whisper.

"Why not?" I chuckled, placing my hand in his so that I wouldn't just land on the floor before shifting. He was stunned for a moment. "I'm- uh-" I couldn't think of a good enough explanation so I just transformed.

"Oh, I get it," he said, not needing to help me climb onto his hand as I was attached with two of my eight legs.

"Ooh, a tarantula!" Someone exclaimed excitedly. I peered over the edge of Hugh's hand to see a short boy with tufted blonde hair poking out of a newsboy cap. He had a little clay man on his shoulder. "I wanna hold it!" He tried to snatch me but I recoiled.

"No, Enoch, this is the new ward, ____. We're gonna scare Jacob." The boy clapped his hands together and grinned:

"I like her already."

~~~~~

Later that day, Hugh and I were laughing. We had surprised everyone (except Miss P) at least twice. For the younger wards, I just turned into fluffy animals for them to cuddle, which made for a pleasant and safer surprise. I had just pranked Jacob as a snake and he tripped and spilled his coffee. I laughed so much I fell into Hugh's lap. He stopped laughing suddenly. I copied, getting up. "Sorry," I muttered, turning away from him, I didn't want to admit that I had developed a crush on him in the mere space of one day. I glanced back at him and he was blushing fiercely. "Look, I-" We both began simultaneously, before chuckling again. Suddenly, Hugh pressed his lips to mine, before pulling away. "Gosh, I'm so sorry, I-" before he could continue, I pressed my lips to his in a slow kiss, that began to get passionate; I tangled my fingers in his hair and he stroked my cheek and placed his hand on my hip. We pulled away again. "____, you're so fun, and you're incredible! Even without you're Pecularity, you're able to have a laugh. You've stopped me from being bored."

"Thanks, Hugh." I smiled, "I've never met anyone who encouraged me to try out my Peculiarity as much as you have. Before today, I'd only transformed into four animals."

"Which ones?" He inquired.

"A bee, a dog, a pigeon and a cat. They're less conspicuous where I live."

Hugh nodded. "I want you to stay here with us... with me."

"Hugh, I-"

"I know it's a lot to ask. Just wait until the pandemic is over. It might be a while so you'll have time to think. Once it's no longer affecting the world, you can make your decision... how's that?" He asked softly, hope in his honey-coloured eyes. I nodded, and we embraced, holding one another tightly.

~~~One Year Later~~~

There was finally a vaccine for the virus. But I couldn't visit my brother and parents yet. I hadn't even left the loop since I got to Cairnholm. "Maybe it would be safer here," I said to him one morning. "And I can always leave the Loop to send texts and things... I'll be able to visit, too, until I get-" I looked at his downed expression. "I'll age forward and you won't."

He nodded, sorrow filling his bright eyes. We embraced "whatever you choose, I'll be with you." He decided. "I know. It's... it's hard. Because your family cares for you. You don't want to leave them."

"Yes," I replied.

"Well, we'll just have to wait and see." We agreed on that, content for now.

That was the day the Wights entered the Loop...