003 | she's single

third person

the first day of school came to an end, and most students were off campus. zach walked out to the fields where almost a hundred boys were lined up for tryouts. the fall season started today, and all fall sports held their tryouts for the next couple days.

walking passed the football field and to the other end of the bleachers were the soccer fields. parkside high had 2 soccer fields- one for the girls' and boys' soccer teams. the varsity teams and junior varsity teams shared fields, 4 coaches on each end of the fields.

from the corner of his eye, zach spotted savannah at the east field no longer dressed in the denim skirt and blouse she had on this morning. she wore black athletic shorts and a workout tank with her cleats, her blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail.

"woah you're drooling man." a voice laughed from behind. zach turned around to see a brunette boy with a duffel bag to his side on top of his backpack.

"jack, we have gym together." the two shook hands as they stood on the perimeter of the fields near the benches. "you must be zach."

"ah so you've heard?"

jack placed his bags on the bench and chuckled, "trust me man, everyone's heard." though zach wasn't surprised, a defeated look appeared on his face.

"but not everyone cares about that kind of stuff, it's high school. we've all done something." zach got his cleats on and walked with jack onto the field where the rest of the group was.

"so i'm guessing you've met savannah."

zach looked up at the boy almost frozen, "uh yeah, not that well though. we just met this morning and-"

a light laugh came out of jack, "she gave you a tour around a school right?"

zach tilted his head and nodded, "yeah, how'd you know?"

"i've known sav since 6th grade." the boy explained. half of the elementary schools combined into one middle school, and that's how most of the group first met. savannah, daniel, and kesley came from one school while jack and rowyn came from another.

it wasn't until one day around november when jack accidentally threw a goldfish down kesley's shirt from the table next to hers; conversation started, and the 5 of them became inseparable since. obviously savannah was close with corbyn, but the whole group became friends with him and jonah by the end of freshman year.

from the look on zach's face, jack could tell he wasn't paying attention. his gaze was still focused on the blonde running across the field as she played offense.

jack laughed amusingly at the boy, "she's single if that's what you're wondering."

"what?" he turned to him and shook his head, "pffft i- i wasn't wondering. i'm just-"

"thinking?" zach's response became silent, "yeah i know the feeling."

"avery!" a big loud voice asked. the two looked up at the older man in the center of the field who had a 2 slightly younger guys next to him. "if what you're saying is so important, would you mind sharing it to the rest of the team?"

jack looked down to the ground as his voice got quieter, "no coach."

"that's what i thought." the white-haired man nodded his head towards zach, "and you? what's your name?"

"zach sir- uh zach herron...sir." snickers were made from the other guys in the team, including jack.

the coach chuckled amusingly at the nervous newbie, "alright that's enough talking from you. you're the dalton kid aren't you?"