Chapter 12: Saints and Hypocrisy (4)

Ryuen POV
...a week ago...

What kind of a sick joke is this...

I tossed the sickening novel aside, as I slumped myself onto the bed right after.

As I got back from the school's boring lectures, I spotted a novel at my mailbox. Usually, I don't give a damn about something as irrelevant as this, but recently, I've picked up the habit to read, so I just thought, 'why the hell not', and brought it back to my room to read a chapter or two.

But never in the World would I think this is a book about that bastard...let alone about my second defeat against him...

I normally wouldn't even have my emotions tugged like this by just reading a book, but now...my emotions are completely torn left and right, just because I read this damn novel in the eyes of that man...the man that swallowed up my dignity...

"Hehehe..." I let out a dry laughter, as those records of me revealing my plan started flashing in my mind.

"Can't believe a fuck'in day I would laugh at myself like this..."

—————
Hiyori POV
...Present...

"The Island Exam?" I frowned, as I listened to the story of how Ryuen-kun received his novel.

"What's so surprising about it?"

"No...it's nothing." I answered. "I just thought the experience may not be impactful enough for you, at least not enough for you to take action."

After all, Ryuen-kun is not someone who dwelled on his own defeat like this, unless it is 'that event', I didn't think it would be this would be enough to motivate him to do all of the past transgressions he took.

"Just like you have said," Ryuen-kun laid back a bit as he replied. "It's all just a reminder of how stupid I look. That's all."

My eyes widened a little. Then, with some thoughts of my own, I nodded in response.

I guess...even till this day, I underestimated how much effect this novel series can have on us. Even if the case with Sakura-san is a bit unique in and of itself, the novel must have also instilled some impulses on other readers, as it's the case similar to Haruka-san's.

"Now that's out of the way..."

As he dropped this sentence, he gazed at me with a slight seriousness in his eyes.

"How do you think I know that glasses girl is holding the novel, huh?"

I sighed at his words. "Ryuen-kun...Did you not promise me to answer me everything?"

"That doesn't mean I'll answer them right away." He smirked. "So, what are your thoughts?"

...Thoughts of my own...But still...

"Isn't it Haruka-san who was the original holder of the Volume 2 instead?"

I told him this information, Ryuen-kun widened his eyes in response.

"I'm surprised," he answered. "How do you get hold of this information?"

...hm?