Clark's Weekend

When Fawcett Elementary let out on Friday Clark was waiting out front.  Billy was one of the last students to emerge, clutching his backpack tightly as he looked at the cars lined up obviously searching for Clark.

“Over here, Billy,” Clark called with a wave.

Billy’s face lit up and he eagerly climbed into the car.  “Thanks for picking me up, Mr. Kent.  I wasn’t sure if you would show up or not but I’m glad you did.”

“You can call me Clark and it’s no problem.  If Superman can’t keep his promises then who can?” he winked at Billy who smiled.  “So I was thinking we could grab a quick bit then I can help you with your homework.  Bruce said you were having a lot of trouble with English.”

Billy flushed but nodded.  “Yeah he helped me with it yesterday but I still don’t understand a lot of it.”

“I hated English,” Clark confided.  “It was my worst subject – I always liked Math better.”

“But you’re a reporter,” Billy’s face scrunched up in confusion.

“So?” Clark shrugged.  “I won’t lie – it came in handy but I still didn’t like it when I was your age.  My mom can testify to that; I can’t tell you how many times she had to help me with my homework.”

“She sounds nice,” Billy’s tone was wistful.

“She is.  Maybe one day you can meet her but only if you feel like it,” he added hastily.  Bruce had warned him about Billy’s panic attack the day before and since Clark didn’t carry sedatives on him he definitely wanted to avoid that at all costs.

“Maybe,” Billy allowed.

“Is there anything that you need to grab before we leave town?” Clark asked.  “Like your coat?  It’s supposed to get really cold this weekend.”  Billy bit his lip but didn’t say anything and Clark filled in the blanks.  “Okay we’re going to buy you a coat,” he decided.  “Where’s your favorite place to shop?”

“Uh,” Billy blinked.  “You don’t have to do that.”

“But I want to,” Clark insisted.  “So do you have a favorite store?”

Billy shrugged.  I usually go to this little place near the subway but it’s not in a very nice neighborhood.”

“How about this place?” Clark suggested as he pulled into the parking lot of a reasonably cheap clothing store.  He would’ve happily gone to a more upscale place but he would leave that to Bruce – he would get Billy used to being spoiled first.

“Uh, okay,” Billy looked nervous as they got out of the car and clung to Clark’s hand.

It took several minutes but Clark finally convinced Billy to let him buy the boy a thick brown coat, two pairs of red gloves, and a matching beanie.  Clark wasn’t too proud to admit that he promised Billy they could watch The Avengers in exchange for some new socks, underwear, and a new shirt and jeans.  This time he had to promise ice cream but Billy reluctantly accepted a new pair of sneakers.

By the time they actually got to Clark’s apartment it was time for supper so Clark ushered Billy to the shower while he got started on supper.

“Feel better?” Clark asked with a grin when Billy finally emerged from the shower.

Billy nodded enthusiastically.  “Thank you so much, Mr. Kent.  I can’t remember the last time I took a hot shower or used towels that soft.  Usually, I just scrub down in the gas station bathroom.”

“You can take a shower here whenever you want,” Clark promised.   “Even when I’m not at home.”

“Wow, really?” Billy’s eyes were wide and he stared at Clark incredulously.

“Really,” Clark nodded.  “Now have a seat: supper’s ready.”

Billy eagerly sat at the small table, his eyes glued to the plate Clark sat in front of him.  “What is it?”

“Chicken Alfredo – it’s easy to make and very healthy.  Perfect for growing boys,” he sat opposite Billy.

“I’m not that small,” Billy groaned.

Clark raised an eyebrow.  “Yes you are – Bruce and I both agree that you’re seriously underweight.  Trust me, if you go to Bruce’s next weekend you’ll hear that even more.  Alfred’s a much better cook though.”

“I don’t think anything could taste better than this,” Billy grinned as he ate.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” Clark chided.

“Sorry,” Billy mumbled.

“It’s not a problem,” Clark grinned.  “Tell you what – after we get through eating we’ll watch The Avengers like I promised and tomorrow we’ll work on your homework.”

“Sounds good to me.”

As they ate Clark regaled Billy with stories of his childhood.  He told him all about growing up on a farm and how he discovered his powers.  He didn’t miss the wistful look in Billy’s eyes as Clark described his parents and how wonderful they were.  He made sure to mention how excited they were to meet Billy.  He made sure to brag about their animals and his mother’s cooking.

After supper they did indeed watch the movie.  Clark had to chuckle when Billy fell asleep halfway through, his head on Clark’s shoulder.  Careful not to wake him Clark picked him up and carried him to the guest room.  He tucked Billy in then turned out the lights.

Clark washed the dishes then turned in himself.  Tomorrow was going to be a busy day and getting some extra sleep would probably be a good idea.  He was on the verge of drifting off when his hearing caught a quiet scream coming from Billy’s room.  Within seconds he was next to the bed.  “Billy,” he said urgently, “are you okay?”

Billy was shaking but nodded.  “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“It’s okay,” Clark assured him.  “I get nightmares sometimes too.  Go back to sleep, I’ll stay here with you.”

“Thanks,” Billy yawned then promptly fell back asleep.

Unwilling to leave Billy alone Clark sat on the edge of the bed and stayed there until he too fell asleep.