Alfred's Chapter

When Master Bruce came home talking about a young boy with black hair and blue eyes Alfred had known they would soon be adding another addition to the family.  A room had been prepared next to Master Dick’s and he had gotten the poor boy some clothes and had dug out some of his most healthy recipes.

Alfred stood next to the car having opted to take the smaller BMW versus the limo.  Billy seemed to get overwhelmed easily and Alfred saw no reason to make things any harder for the boy than he had to.  His eyes swept over the various children exiting the school and at last he caught sight of a familiar child.  He was wearing a new red sweater and winter attire that had to have come from Mr. Kent.  He looked at Alfred and waved hesitantly.  Alfred happily returned the wave with a smile.

“Ah, greetings, young Master Billy, I’m Alfred Pennyworth, Master Bruce’s butler.”  He held out his hand and, after a moment, Billy shook it.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Alfred,” Billy said shyly.  “Mr. Bruce talked about you a lot.”

“As he did with you,” Alfred smiled.  “Climb on in – Gotham’s not that far away and you can have a snack when we get there.  How does that sound?”

Billy shrugged.  “Sounds good to me,” he climbed into the car.  He clung to his backpack protectively and Alfred chose not to comment.

“So how was your day at school?  Master Bruce tells me you’re having trouble with English.  I would be more than happy to offer my services while you’re staying with us.  I often helped Master Bruce with his homework and now I help Master Dick.”

“If you don’t mind,” Billy said sheepishly.

“Not a problem.”

The two chatted on the way to Gotham, Billy’s initial nervousness vanishing as he told Alfred all about his day.  Alfred listened attentively, asking questions when it seemed to be appropriate and throwing in small stories of his own about Master’s Bruce and Dick.  Alfred learned quite a few interesting things about Master Billy like his favorite color was red and he loved tigers.  Alfred noted all of these details for later; they would be useful when he bought the child more stuff.  Children deserved to be spoiled after all, especially ones that had gone without like the one sitting next to him.

“Master Dick has gymnastics tonight so Master Bruce will pick him up so it’ll be just me and you for a little while.  We can work on your homework after you have a snack.”

“You’re just trying to fatten me up,” Billy accused.

Alfred shrugged unrepentantly.  “That I am, young sir.  Master Bruce told me you were small for your age and I wholeheartedly agree.  Are there any foods that you don’t like or are allergic to?”

Billy thought about it for a moment then said, “I have trouble with onions – they make my throat swell and peanut butter makes me gag.”

“Duly noted,” Alfred nodded.  Perhaps they could convince Master Billy to get tested for allergies later just to be certain but that could wait until he saw a psychiatrist.  There was, quite simply, several things that needed to be taken care of now that he was going to be a permanent fixture in their little family.  Honestly, if Master Bruce somehow screwed this up Alfred was going to tan his hide.

“But I’ll eat ‘em if there’s no other choice,” Billy added.  “I never waste food.”

“Well you’ll have plenty of choices at our house,” Alfred said sternly.  “And the kitchen is always open no matter the time.  I’m certain that Mr. Kent bought you some clothes but I’m going to take you shopping again.  You’ll need some toys to fill up your room and I don’t think you’re old enough for most of Master Dick’s video games.  Children your age should have a lot of toys.”

“I have Mr. Tawky Tawny,” Billy protested, pulling out a well-worn stuffed tiger.  The poor thing needed to be mended and washed thoroughly.  He felt an eyebrow twitch as he swore he could see something move on the toy.  Everything Billy owned would have to be fumigated immediately.  He made a mental note to get some lice treatment after he checked Billy’s hair when he took a shower.

“I see but it can’t hurt to have more,” Alfred pointed out.

“True,” Billy frowned.  “I guess a few more couldn’t hurt,” he said doubtfully.

Alfred smiled triumphantly.  “Master Dick will be more than happy to tag along and point out the best toys.  He’s more up to date on what’s popular than I am.”

“I’m cool with anything,” Billy assured him.  “You don’t have to buy me anything.  The new clothes Mr. Clark bought me will last for a long time.”

“Nonsense,” Alfred smiled.  “A growing boy your age will outgrow those clothes in a few months and I will not allow anyone under my roof to only have one change of decent clothing.”  Honestly, the thought alone offended him.

Billy looked confused.  “I thought it was Mr. Bruce’s house.”

“In name only,” Alfred informed him.  “In truth, I’ve run the Wayne household since before Master Bruce was even born.  I don’t take orders from him – he thinks I do but I only let him think that.  Life goes so much easier if he thinks that.”

Billy looked at him appraisingly then grinned.  “You’re devious, Mr. Alfred.  I like that.”

“And on that note we’re here,” Alfred said proudly as they pulled into the driveway of Wayne Manor.

“Wow,” Billy breathed as the car came to a stop.  “I get to stay here?  Are you sure I’m not going to break everything?”

Alfred chuckled.  “You’ll be fine, young Master Billy.  This place is your home too.  You will always be welcome here.  Now come on, I’ll get you a snack while we do your homework.”