Meeting Lois

While Clark did have a crick in his neck the next morning it wasn’t enough to keep him from cooking breakfast.  By the time Billy wandered in Clark had breakfast ready on the table.  “Hey, Billy,” Clark grinned.  “I hope you’re hungry because breakfast is ready.”

“Bacon!” Billy all but squealed as he sat down.

Clark chuckled.  “After we get done eating we’ll work on your homework and then I was thinking maybe we could grab a bite to eat and check out a museum.  Lois has to do an article on one downtown and I figured we could keep her company.”

“Who’s Lois?” Billy asked.

“We work together,” Clark explained, “and she’s my girlfriend.  She knows I’m Superman but not who you are.”

Billy thought about it for a moment then nodded.  “That could be fun.”

“Cool,” Clark smiled.  “I’ll call Lois and let her know.”

The morning passed rather quickly for Clark as he helped Billy complete all of his homework, even the dreaded English.  Billy, as it turned out, was actually pretty smart once he understood what he was supposed to be doing.  It took some convincing but Billy finally agreed to call one of them the next time he had trouble with his homework.  Billy was slowly but surely warming up to them and Clark couldn’t wait until the day that he trusted them implicitly as Billy Batson and not as Captain Marvel.

For lunch they would up meeting Lois at a small café near the museum.  It was locally owned and the owners knew Lois and Clark by name.  They eagerly welcomed Billy and didn’t seem offended when his reply was a half-hearted mumble.  While Clark and Lois chatted Billy inhaled his food then seemed content to just listen but Lois wouldn’t let him.

“So how old are you Billy?  I’m twenty-eight but don’t tell anyone,” she winked.

“Ten,” Billy answered after looking at Clark who nodded reassuringly.

“Clark hasn’t stopped talking about you,” Lois explained.  “He was really nervous about this weekend; he’s been annoying the crap out of Jimmy and everyone else.”

“Really?” Billy looked oddly happy.  It occurred to Clark that very few people had probably shown interest in Billy.

“Really,” Clark confirmed.  “Bruce is just as nervous – trust me.  He’s better at not showing it though.”

“And cuter,” Lois teased, “but you’re sexier.”

“Ew,” Billy wrinkled his nose.  “I’m leaving if you guys start making out.”

“Then we won’t,” Lois smirked.  “We’ll wait until next week unless you’re moving in with Clark.”

“No,” Billy yelped.  “I’m just here for the weekend.  I’m going to Bruce’s next weekend.”

Clark grinned at Lois who smiled back.  Bruce would be thrilled to know that the weekend had gone relatively well minus Billy’s nightmare.  He hadn’t wanted to talk about it with Clark which was expected but still frustrating.  If Bruce managed to convince Billy to see a psychiatrist then that might help if Billy had someone to talk to that he didn’t work with.  Making the guest bedroom his own would probably help and Clark decided they could do that the next time Billy came over.  He had already given Billy a key to his apartment and made him promise to come over if the weather got too rough.

“That sounds like fun,” Lois commented.  “So how did you like Clark’s?  it wasn’t too dorky, was it?”

“Nope,” Billy shook his head.  “It was perfect.  I got to sleep in a real bed and everything.”

Lois looked rather concerned – after all, children shouldn’t be so enthused about sleeping in a bed but, Clark reminded himself, Billy had been on the streets for a couple of years now and was probably used to sleeping wherever he could.  “Well that’s nice,” she smiled after seeing Clark’s warning look.

“And that room is yours,” Clark added.  “The next time you come over we can decorate it however you want.”

“Wow, really?” Billy’s blue eyes were wide as he stared at Clark in wonder.

“Really,” Clark confirmed.  “That’s your room and nobody else’s.  you can do whatever you want too to it.”

“We could paint it pink,” Lois suggested then burst out laughing at the scandalized look on Billy’s face.  “I’m just messing with you, kid.  I think red’s more your color anyway and I’m willing to bet you’re a Superman fan.”

“Lois,” Clark warned.  “I don’t think you should pressure Billy to decorate his room just because of who I am.”

“Maybe I should decorate it like Batman,” there was a wicked gleam in Billy’s eyes.  “You know since you guys are dating.”

Lois choked on her sandwich and Clark groaned.  “When were you going to tell me about this, Clark?  As your girlfriend I would like to know if I’m supposed to be sharing you with a billionaire.”

“We’re not dating,” Clark sighed.  “Just because the waitress at the diner thinks we’re dating doesn’t mean you have to bring it up.”

“It’s not just Miss Cissie,” Billy protested.  “Everyone in the League thinks so.  Flash and Green Lantern have a running bet on when they’ll catch you guys making out in the Watchtower.”

Lois couldn’t help it – she burst out laughing even as Clark let out another groan.  “Just what exactly do you and Bruce do up there anyway?”

“We’re just friends,” Clark protested.  “I promise.”

“I trust you, Clark,” Lois patted him on the arm.  “I know you’re not going to cheat on me but if you do I want to reap some of the benefits.”

“I need to have a long talk with Bruce,” Clark sighed.  “A very long talk.”