Battling Misconceptions

“So before we wrap this up is there any other business?” Batman wasn’t expecting anything so he was surprised when Superman stood up.  He looked very unhappy and Bruce would have been concerned about Billy but Captain Marvel was sitting there giggling which only intensified when Clark glared at him.

“I’ve decided that it’s time to address a…interesting rumor that I recently found out about.  Batman and I are not dating.  We never have and I highly doubt we ever will.  I am in a committed relationship and Batman…well I’m not getting involved in that – it’s his business but we would both appreciate it if you would get rid of the betting pool.”

Captain Marvel was outright laughing now, ignoring the concerned looks he was getting from his teammates.  Batman paid him no mind though as he stared at Clark.  “Betting pool?” his voice was low and dangerous, his eyes narrowed.

“Oh come on,” Flash rolled his eyes.  “You don’t honestly expect us to believe that.  You two are always together, you know what the other person is thinking and you’ve been even more secretive than usual now.  You get text messages and suddenly you’re hiding them.”

“We’ve been friends for almost six years now,” Batman pointed out.  “You and Hal do the same thing but you don’t see us placing bets on you guys.”  He chose not to mention that the texts were from Billy who was slowly but surely warming up to them.  His weekend with Clark had gone well and Bruce was looking forward to his own weekend.

“I did,” Green Arrow boasted.  “I placed bets on all four of you.”

“He did,” Black Canary sighed.  “I tried to stop him but he wouldn’t listen to me.”

“I want in on this,” Flash grinned.  “I’ve never bet on myself before – I think it could be fun.”

Captain Marvel's laughter was getting worse, his entire face was red and he was having trouble catching his breath.

“Is he okay?” Green Lantern looked at Captain Marvel worriedly.

“I think he’ll be fine,” Superman sighed.  “Can we get back on track here?  I want this betting pool shut down.  I could care less about the one for Flash and Green Lantern but I have no desire to be the subject of one.  I’ll admit Batman's attractive but I don’t like him like that.”

“Same here,” Batman added.  “It’s childish and I’m getting tired of dealing with your antics,” he glowered at Flash and Green Lantern as they smiled sheepishly.  “The two of you are on thin ice and have been for a while now.  If you keep it up you will be kicked out of the League and not even Captain Marvel will be able to save you.”

The hero in question was still laughing and by now everyone else was staring at him in concern, Superman in particular.  Even Batman was slightly worried even though he would never admit it.  At least Billy seemed to be enjoying himself.

Flash and Green Lantern blanched and straightened.  Even they seemed to know when they had gone too far.  “Yes, sir,” they said quietly.

“From here on out there will be no more betting pools and anyone caught doing so will be suspended.  If it happens twice you will be kicked out, no questions asked.  I expect all of the money to be returned by the end of the day.  If there’s nothing else this meeting is adjourned.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Clark asked once everyone else had left.

“I – I’m fine,” Billy managed to gasp, still giggling.  “It was just really funny and people think kids are immature.  It sucks though – I put twenty in the pool myself.”

“You did what?” Superman yelped, garnering another peal of laughter.

“Just kidding but you should see the look on your faces.

Batman groaned.  “Just what we needed, another jokester.  Are you still planning on coming over this weekend?”

“Yeah,” Billy nodded.  “If that’s okay.”

“Of course,” Bruce assured him.  “Alfred will probably pick you up because I have a board meeting that afternoon.  I went ahead and sent you a picture of him so you can find him easily.  I’m free tonight; mind if I join you for dinner?”

“And Lois had to take a raincheck on our date tonight so I’m free too,” Clark added.

Billy shrugged.  “That’s cool, I like the company.”

The two men exchanged triumphant grins then left, promising to show up that night.

Billy was already waiting for them although he raised an eyebrow when he saw the box Bruce was carrying.  “What’s that?” he asked eagerly.

“You’ll have to open it and see,” Bruce smiled mysteriously.  “I think you’ll like it.”

Billy didn’t hesitate – he quickly opened the box, his eyes widening as he pulled out a framed photo.  “This – this is,” he couldn’t finish his sentence.

“Bruce and I had a talk with your uncle and he was more than happy to give us their things,” Clark explained.

“We couldn’t get the house back but we did get the money,” Bruce slid an envelope across the table.  “You can do whatever you want with it or one of us can hold onto it for you.  It’s entirely up to you.”

Billy hesitated then pulled a twenty out of the envelope and slid it back to Bruce.  “You can hold onto it for me if you don’t mind,” he mumbled.

“I don’t mind,” Bruce smiled and put it back in his pocket.  “If you want one of us can hold onto your box for you so it doesn’t get stolen.”

“It can go in your room,” Clark offered.

Billy nodded but kept looking at the picture.  At last he put it back in the box.  He bit his lip then darted around the table and hugged both of them.  “Thank you so much,” he wiped at his eyes furiously.

“It’s not a problem,” Bruce smiled and offered his handkerchief which was eagerly accepted.