Chapter 16: Empty Apologies

A N A Ï S

"I believe I can fly! I believe I can touch the sky!—" Evelyn yells as she exits the school buildings, Lucas and Evelyn on either side of me.

"Shut the fuck up" Lucas grumbles and rubs his face in annoyance.

"No. I BELIEVE I CAN FLY! I BELIEVE I CAN TOUCH THE SKY! I THINK ABOUT IT EVERY NIGHT AND—" Evelyn starts with her awful singing, this time purposely yelling into Lucas' face.

I place my hand over her mouth and just send her a blank look.

Evelyn just rolls her eyes before aggressively yanking my hand away from her mouth.

"Do you not believe you can fly? we're literally done with almost all our exams, we had our last one today and we're done. Do you get that? We can be free now for a few weeks" Evelyn babbles on.

"I just can't stop thinking about whether I did good or not, I had my chemistry one today and I'm scared of how well I did" I grumble and run my hands through my hair.

"I'm sure you did fine, Didn't you mention how Dante was good at explaining all the concepts to you?" Evelyn asks.

"Well, yeah...But I'm still worried"

"I'm sure you did great, when have you ever gotten a bad grade in any of your subjects?" Evelyn laughs.

"I've never been been the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to Chemistry" I mumble.

"I still don't understand why you chose that subject if you're so bad at it" Lucas states.

"I didn't know it was going to be this hard" I answer.

"Well, I'm heading back home to take a fat nap, we should plan something fun to do over the holidays"Lucas suggests while he walks to his car.

Evelyn and I nod our heads before waving him goodbye.

"Evelyn, I need to talk to you about something stupid I did" I say fidgeting with my hands.

Since we didn't have any time to talk during the midterms, I never really had the chance to tell her about what happened when Dante had come over a few days back.

"Hold on, before you tell me anything. Let's go sit in the field, No ones there" She states.

We walked back to the entrance of the building and pushed open the doors to the field.

"What did you do now?" Evelyn asks

"You're making it sound like I always do bad things" I roll my eyes, smacking her on the forehead playfully.

"Can you tell me already?" Evelyn pushes eagerly.

"So you know how Dante was tutoring me for Chemistry right? Well he was testing my knowledge on what I had learnt so far and he said to make it more interesting he'll make it into a game" I start off.

"Ohh, girl. We all know how that would end up" She giggles, wiggling her eyebrows.

I completely ignore her comment and continued with my story.