[9] 𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬

After the Babel drama, Alana was ready for a break.

Over a year passed with barely any time off. There were several really weird missions, like the one with the grain, "quadrotriticale" or whatever it was called. Alana didn't care too much, but she had a video of tribbles falling on top of Jim that she'd sent to Jon and Em. That was the last shore leave that they'd had, but it wasn't very peaceful. Scotty had gotten into a bar fight.

There were also weird ones, like the one where radiation made everyone age faster. Alana had become a young woman pretty quickly, she thought that if the future version of her held, she'd look hot. She'd kicked Commodore Stocker out of the captain's chair when he tried to surrender to the Romulans, arguing that she had more time in command when Jim let her and Selar play captain. She and Selar took command, bullshitting their way out of the Neutral Zone while Jim got the anti-aging drug that Bones created.

Another was one where the planet had become overrun with Nazis, and then the one with the Andromeda Galaxy people- the Kelvans, if she remembered correctly. Finally, there was a really weird one where that Gary Seven guy from the 1960s Earth era recognized her. He'd never explicitly said so, but the way he looked at her was like oh my god that's Alana Pike. She'd seen it before in one boy who thought she was famous in online school.

And now she had hundreds of thousands of Instagram followers. Maybe a million; she wasn't paying too much attention, but she kept sharing photos of her adventures. Of Jim. Of Selar (sometimes, but never anything super clear since Selar had her nose in a book).

After Jim's (and Alana's) constant begging, the admiralty permitted them to stop at Risa for a five-day shore leave. Alana had tossed everything in her bag and moved into Jim's villa. He had decided to give Alana "free reign" on the planet. Alana had a both a phone and debit card with actual money, since her parents had left her everything. Plus, Jim knew that she wouldn't spend all of her money. She'd proven herself to be sensible... and was also profiting off Instagram advertisements.

Jim had only given Alana one set instructions: Don't tell Jon and Em that you were unsupervised, or we're both as good as dead.

Alana was, however, a bit disappointed that Selar had Starfleet Academy work to do. Selar spent most of her time working, and there was usually nothing she could say to get Selar to take a break. She'd told her best friend, "You're going to work yourself to death!" only to get a "That is impossible, Alana."

Of course it was impossible. Fun was "illogical."

Jim had gone out, so Alana decided to go to the beach during the day. Selar didn't like water, so she wouldn't be missing much. She had her own bikini, sunscreen, water bottle, and beach towel, so there was nothing stopping her. While there, she overheard about Risan Festival of the Moon parties- there were some for adults that required ID, and some for kids and families that didn't.

Alana decided to do that, and got ready, picking out a party-worthy top and jean shorts to go over her bikini. She brushed out her hair, put on some makeup, and decided that was good enough, waiting around a bit. When it was time, she pulled her iconic pink sunglasses onto her head, headed outside of the villa, walking over to the elevator and calling it.

As she was waiting, a blonde woman, blonde boy, and brunette girl walked over. The woman was tall- around the same height as her mom used to be. She had on a beachy dress and was busy tending to her two kids. When she made eye contact, Alana realized that she had green eyes... just like someone she used to know.

Mom?

Crap, was she hallucinating? Tearing her eyes away from Not-Mom, she glanced over at the young girl, who had brown eyes and brown hair tied up in a messy ponytail. She was kind of short, but she also looked pretty young, dressed in a pink t-shirt and black shorts.