Chapter 50: Christmas Saves the Year

'Everybody wants to make it home this year, Even if the world is crumbling down' 

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the mansion, not a creature was stirring, not even a guard dog. The stockings were hung on the mantel with care, in hopes that Saint Nicholas soon would be there. The two children were nestled all snuggled in bed while visions of the sugar plum princess danced in their heads. Lilianna in her oversized tee shirt and Terrence in sweats, both slept in the same bed for the first time in four days. 

The rest of the Elitists slept peacefully so, their minds restful and in hope that the two upstairs would be civil come morning. But then again, what is Christmas without some sort of fighting? 

As the sun rose in the sky, painting the horizon orange and bright, the birds of the island started to sing. Only then would Hannah start to awake, Christmas morning was now in full swing. 

The pitter-patter of feet sprinting across the cold wood floor had Lilianna pulled from a dreamless sleep. Not only was she gone the night without waking once, but she had also done it without a single nightmare, an occurrence that had not been so since she was a mere four-year-old. 

"Aunt Lili! Uncle Terrence, wake up!" Hannah screamed cheerfully as she threw open the door and jumped onto their bed. "It's Christmas! Santa came! Santa brought presents! Come on!" 

"Hannah, it's so early," Terrence grumbled, shoving his face into his pillow in the hopes that she would give him another hour or more of sleep. 

"But Santa was here! We have to go open presents!" She cried, rolling onto her back and throwing her hands around dramatically. Lilianna laughed and grabbed Hannah, pulling her into her lap as she sat up. 

"Okay, in a minute. Let the rest of the house wake up. I'll fix this rat nest of yours while we wait." She assured the small girl as she pulled her hair out of the frizzy bun on top of her head. Grabbing the brush from her nightstand she combed through Hannah's blonde locks, smoothing them down her back and making her look presentable. Taking the fuzzy pink scrunchie from her wrist, she pulled the front half of her hair back and twisted it into a small bun to keep it from falling in her eyes when it came time to open presents. 

"There, all pretty!" Lilianna smiled, hugging Hannah tightly thus making her giggle. Lilianna quickly brushed through her own hair and threw it into a ponytail before lifting Hannah to the floor. 

"Do you want some breakfast before presents too? We have Lucky Charms." Lilianna offered, sliding her glasses on and blinking a few times to let her eyes adjust to seeing the world clearly. 

"Daddy never lets me have sugary cereal!" She gasped. 

"Christmas is the only day when sugary cereal is allowed. Everyone knows that!" Lilianna assured her. 

"Yes! Let's go!" Hannah cheered, sprinting out of the room and nearly falling down the stairs from her slippers giving no traction on the floor. Lilianna sighed, grabbing one of the many silk robes from the closet and pulling it on to cover her bare arms. 

"Make sure you're downstairs in ten minutes. She's gonna lose it soon." Lilianna told Terrence, leaning across the bed and poking his shoulder to make sure he heard her. 

"Fine." His voice coming out muffled through the pillow. 

"Don't be such a Grinch!" She teased as she skipped out of the room and made her way to Rochelle's room to make sure she got fed too. Just as she pushed open the door to the baby's room she heard the door across the hall open. Glancing over her shoulder, Matthew and Otis now stood in the hallway.