Chapter 49: Blonde

'I used to crave a getaway now I don't wanna leave, I was stuck home for some months, I didn't love myself ' 

Lost in the whistle tones of Mariah Carey's Christmas album, Lilianna missed the sound of someone ringing the front doorbell furiously. She was slowly getting around to completing the cookies she had baked after breakfast, her constant dancing making it hard for her to be productive in the kitchen. Terrence came running down the stairs and looked at Lilianna in confusion. 

"Why didn't you get the door?" He yelled at her over the music. She looked up at him equally confused, licking icing from the back of her hand that was holding a piping bag. 

"What?" She yelled. "I can't hear you! And what doorbell?" 

He rolled his eyes and went to the door. Lilianna wiped her hands off on her apron, quickly lifting the needle from the record player to stop the music. She walked into the foyer to find Terrence hugging a tall woman who looked very identical to him. A small girl with a head of dark curls and vibrant green-grey eyes stood on the porch landing, seemingly too shy to enter the house. 

"As happy as I am to see you, I wish our time apart hadn't been for reasons unspoken." The woman said to Terrence, her tone suggesting she was mad at him. 

"Marelle, I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting to get-" He tried to apologize but she shushed him. 

"Not in front of Chloe, please. She doesn't know." She whispered, glancing over her shoulder at the child. 

"Well if it isn't my beautiful niece!" Terrence smiled, crouching down and making the child smile. "I'm so happy to finally meet my Chloe!" 

She waved slightly, still shy from where she stood outside. Her mom laughed slightly, pulling her into the house and removing the jacket from the small girl's shoulders. "Go on now, C. Hug your Uncle T." 

She ran up and jumped into his arms, hiding her face in his shoulder immediately. He smiled and hugged her back tightly, rocking side to side. Marelle smiled at her brother and daughter before turning to face Lilianna. 

"Hi, you must be Lili," She smiled, holding out her hand to shake. "It's nice to finally meet you." 

Lilianna smiled slightly, shaking her hand. "It's Lilianna and you must be Marelle. I didn't know you were coming." 

Marelle looked taken aback and turned to her brother with a glare. "You didn't tell her I was coming?" 

"No, it kinda slipped my mind given all the other things I've been dealing with lately." He glossed over, his eyes drifting to the bandage on Lilianna's arm for a moment. 

"Well, I apologize then for intruding, Lilianna." Marelle softened her stare as she spoke to Lilianna. 

"No, it's fine. I'm grateful for your company. I was just making some Christmas cookies and I was planning on having one of the boys put up the tree for me in a moment. I'd love to have someone to talk to whilst I decorate." Lilianna smiled, catching the look of shock on Terrence's face as she spoke. 

"Of course! Chloe would love to help out too! If you wouldn't mind her joining us?" Marelle grabbed her daughter's hand and pulled her forward to meet Lilianna. Terrence watched as Lilianna knelt and gave his niece a warm smile. 

"Hello Chloe, I'm Aunt Lili. It's such a pleasure to meet such a beautiful young lady!" She said softly. The little girl immediately giggled and hugged Lilianna. Both Terrence and Marelle watched with wide eyes. 

"Chloe is usually timid, and I'm shocked." Marelle stuttered. 

"Lilianna has a way with children. They like her, a lot. I think it's the constant supply of cookies she offers." Terrence told his sister.