Chapter 48: The Ballad of Mona Lisa

'There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you paid for' 

The screaming had stopped an hour ago. All the Elitists, except Jeremiah, sat around the kitchen, eyes trained on their hands or the wood tabletop. Terrence gripped a glass of liquor as he stared into space at the head of the table. Baloo waited at the basement door, whining continuously as he worried for the petite woman that he cuddled with every night. Rochelle and Hannah were on the beach, a mile away from the dock, making 'the world's biggest sandcastle' with their father. 

As time passed, Terrence became more and more obsessed with his thoughts as he replayed the day's events through his mind. He knew she had done something to tip off the authorities but he worried that there were more forces acting against him that she was now paying for. He knew she wasn't the mole, that was a lead Yolanda had given them that had no connection to Lilianna in any way. Emmet Boseman was growing closer and closer to putting together the prosecution case of a lifetime and Terrence debated the pros and cons of putting together a series of bullets in the lawyer's brain. 

The door to the basement swung open and all eyes turned to the tatted man that had entered the kitchen. He removed his glasses and hung them in the pocket of his black shirt before looking at the gangsters. 

"All done." Clint sighed, looking at his boss. "It wasn't easy and was the hardest piece I've done yet, but it's definitely the best work I've done yet too." 

"How is she?" Mikale asked, his fists balled up on the table. 

"Exhausted. Not in any pain, I gave her some sedatives and wrapped her with a med bandage so she doesn't have to see it while it heals. Other than that, she's livid and capable of murder in the highest degree so I suggest keeping all potential weapons out of reach." Clint explained. 

"She wouldn't actually kill us, right." Commodore chuckled, the fear of his words evident in the shake of his voice.

"How about we just not find out by having one of you end up dead. Women are the most capable killers this planet has seen and the rage in that tiny thing could wipe you out easy so please, lock up your guns." Clint suggested. 

"Thank you, Clint. I won't be calling you again for a while. I promise." Terrence nodded, shaking the tattoo artist's hand firmly. 

"Good, because I think she'll kill me if she sees me again." He sighed. "See you around boys. To live and let go!" 

And he left the mansion, the sound of the speedboat pulling away from the dock confirming that there was no turning back now for the gangsters. They looked around the room at each other, contemplating what the best move was for them to take. 

"She's still down there," Otis mumbled, his eyes on Terrence who was tapping his finger against the glass in his hand whilst thinking deeply. 

"I'll go get here." Commodore offered, standing from the table. Terrence held up his other hand, stopping him. 

"No, this is my fault. I'll go." He sighed. 

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Mikale asked. 

"I need to make sure-" He stopped himself. "I need her to take it out on me." 

He set his drink on the counter and made his way down the stairs, stepping into the room the boys usually trained and worked out in. Lilianna sat unmoving on the edge of a chair, her left forearm wrapped in the medical bandage Clint had left her with. Her eyes were fixed on the floor a few feet ahead of her, her right hand fiddling with the necklace Terrence hadn't realized she was wearing. As she twisted the pendant in her fingers, he realized from the glint of the diamond that it was an engagement ring on a silver chain. Her mother's ring, an item she must've been wearing the day of the breakout. He had never seen the necklace before, realizing it was something she had been keeping hidden, something that meant more at that moment than it would have usually.