Hanako-san

Hanako-san, or Toire no Hanako-san is a Japanese urban legend about the spirit of a young girl named Hanako-san who haunts school bathrooms. Like many urban legends, the details of the origins of the legend vary depending on the account. Legends about Hanako-san have achieved some popularity in old Japanese schools where children may challenge classmates to try to summon Hanako-san the spirit.

According to legend, Hanako-san is the spirit of a young girl who haunts school bathrooms, and can be described as a yōkai or a yūrei. The details of her physical appearance vary across different sources, but she is commonly described as having a bobbed haircut and as wearing a red skirt or dress.

The details of Hanako-san's origins also vary depending on the account; in some versions, Hanako-san was a child who was murdered by a stranger or an abusive parent in a school bathroom; in other versions, she was a girl who committed suicide in a school bathroom; in still other versions, she was a child who lived during World War II, and who was killed in an air raid while hiding in a school bathroom during a game of hide-and-seek.

To summon Hanako-san, it is often said that individuals must enter a girls' bathroom (usually on the third floor of a school), knock three times on the third stall, and ask if Hanako-san is present.

If Hanako-san is there, she will reply with some variation of "Yes, I am."Depending on the story, the individual may then witness the appearance of a bloody or ghostly hand; the hand, or Hanako-san herself, may pull the individual into the toilet, which may lead to Hell; or the individual may be eaten by a three-headed lizard who claims that the individual was invading Hanako’s privacy.

The individual may also be left alone with no harm, but they may see Hanako-San in the mirrors next to them.