Un (edited)

Edited: 4/17/23. Chapters started out short, but as you move through the story, you will see them get longer. I am working on revising them all and editing them, so please be patient. Enjoy the reading lovelies. 

Sanemi grunted from his position on the ground. He noticed some of the other hashiras had similar reactions. The bastard is gone for eight days and suddenly it is a matter of life or death. As if. Sanemi had been on missions longer than a month before. Tomioka had been gone for eight days and the master decided to send another pillar after him. It infuriated Sanemi.

All the pillars had been gathered for a meeting, and when it became obvious that Tomioka wasn't going to show up, the master decided to send another pillar to find him, just to make sure he's still alive.

It was a pointless mission, in Sanemi's opinion.

He didn't understand why it was so important. Why he was kneeling on the floor whilst Tomioka was off doing whatever he wanted to do. Sanemi was almost entirely convinced that Tomioka simply hadn't wanted to come to the meeting. Maybe it's because he didn't have any friends among the pillars, or anyone in the corps for that matter. It wouldn't surprise Sanemi. Tomioka had skipped meetings before purely because he wasn't feeling up to it.

Sanemi scowled at the dirt ground, wondering why he was unable to stop thinking about the raven-haired man. 

"Rengoku, would you mind tracing Tomioka's footprints and trying to find him?" The master asked, his voice soft and polite. 

Rengoku didn't have any option other than to say yes. 

So that's what he did.

"Yes, I will find Tomioka and I will bring him back without fail!" He exclaimed loudly, causing Sanemi, who was sitting right next to him, to flinch and move away a little, much like Obanai on his other side.

Why is he so enthusiastic? He's literally going to rescue an emotionless loser, Sanemi thought, disgruntled.

Of course he didn't actually think of Tomioka as a loser.

Well, maybe he did just a little.

Who wouldn't?

In Sanemi's opinion, the man had no friends and refused to interact with anyone pretty much. He acted as if he was better than the other hashiras, and he refused to interact with any of them beyond the mandatory meetings.

The man was attractive, a secret Sanemi would take to the grave, and could probably have a wife already (or more, like Uzui) if he wasn't such a recluse. His personality was sure to put off other people. 

Sanemi held back the smile at the thought of the other man interacting with someone flirting with him, ignoring the uncomfortable churn in his stomach at the thought. 

Sanemi heard Ubuyashiki wishing Rengoku good luck on his journey and he heard the loud stomping sounds of Rengoku walking away.

He tuned out the rest of the meeting, only speaking when asked about his missions.

So far nobody had encountered one of the demon moons besides that Kamado boy, a while back and that was neither a good thing nor a bad thing.

When the meeting was dismissed, Sanemi stood up with cracking joints and started walking away.

He knew that Shinobu was following him, but he couldn't bring himself to care. He assumed she would lose interest at one point if he made it obvious enough he wanted nothing to do with her. 

He continued walking until he left the estate and was making his way into the woods.

It was almost nightfall and he was hoping to blow some steam out on the poor demons who get in his way. His hand clutched his sword with morbid anticipation.