🌸Chapter Two🌸

Mei stared at her toes as she rocked the swing gently, back and forth, On the inside, she was freaking out, but on the outside, she calmly swung herself beside the boy next to her. A total stranger who's also been living next to her, her whole life. Someone that was way above her league. Someone she never thought she'd interact with. Until now.

"Please delete the picture." She swerved her head to look at him and saw that his gaze was somewhere far away.

She looked back at her shoes. This was as awkward for him as it was for her. More so, since he wasn't the one acting like a stalker and taking other people's pictures for no reason. Honestly, she's surprised he hasn't dragged her in a dark alley.

"Okay." His head snapped to look at her, raising his eyebrows.

"Really?" She looked at him, nervous and confused.

"Uh...yeah? I'll do it right now." She took her phone out and began tapping on the screen. After a few seconds, she held it up so that he could see her recent gallery. His photo was gone.

"It's done. Are we good now?" She put her phone down, placing it back on her pocket; waiting to see his reaction. This should be okay now, right?

He unconsciously leaned forward a little bit, and she slightly leaned back.

"W-what-"

"Just like that?"

"Uh, yes?"

"You weren't going to use it against me or anything?"

"Why would I do that?"

"Because..." his voice trailed off. She looked at him expectantly. There was list of reasons. For one, his parents were traditional, and his reputation at school would collapse by this one photo. In summary, she could ruin his life.

But maybe she wasn't thinking that....

He shot her a smile. A dimple popped up from the left side of his cheek. She hitched a breath. He was indeed blinding.

"Nothing. Thank you. You're a kind person after all." Mei blinked, the tips of her ears turning pink again. Was that a compliment? Rui noticed her bewildered expression, and rose tinted ears, but decided not to say anything, He looked away, so she wouldn't see his chuckle.

"I-if you don't mind me asking..." Mei began, and Rui turned to look back at her. Gathering her courage, she straight into him to his surprise and asked, "why do you...wear that?"

She could see the light in his eyes dim, and her stomach twisted into knots. Oh no. Was that offensive?

"Ah," he said, laughing quietly to himself, though it sounded hollow.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't-"

"I wear it because I want to." His tone was tense, defensive, and he was distancing himself from her. His hands were fidgeting with the hems of his sweater.

"I wear it because I look good. It makes me feel good," he scoffed in a self-mocking tone. "You must think I'm weird right?" She shook her head.

"No." He paused, as he turned to slowly look at her.

"No?" She nodded her head.

"But I was wearing a..."

"I know. But that doesn't concern me. Besides you looked good." She awkwardly rubbed her nose. "I guess that's why I took a picture..." He blinked.

"What?"

"It's cool that you know what you want. I don't even know what I want most of the time," she laughed, but stopped when she saw that he didn't laugh with her, leaving them with an awkward silence.

Maybe it wasn't funny to joke about being a degenerate?

A chuckle. She turned to look at him.

"Is something funny?" He coughed, covering his mouth with the back of his hand, as he stared at her with an odd glint in his eyes.

What a weird girl.

"Nothing." She nodded her head. Fuck, when does this end?

"What was your name again?"

"Oh...it's Mei."

"I'm Rui."

"Yeah, I know." He looked at her, surprised.

"You do?" She cocked her head.

"Well, we do go to the same school." her laugh was stiff, almost sounding forced.

"How come I've never seen you?"

"I don't usually go out."

"Oh. Are you a new neighbor?" Mei snorted. He was really oblivious huh?

"We've been neighbors for ages." Rui didn't respond, staring at her figure as he contemplated.

"Huh." A long stretch of silence descended upon them again.

Awkward. Everything about this was awkward. She was mentally exhausted. People were tiring. This was why she didn't talk to other people; there were too many social cues. She wanted to go back home and flop on her bed, never to emerge into society ever again.

But wasn't she trying to change that?

She stopped swinging, her hands clutching the railings tightly.

To write an experienced love story, shouldn't she change her mindset and put herself out there? Talk to people, learn from them, or learn to like one? With this she could become a better writer. But where was she to start? She wasn't close with anybody.

Rui stood up, breaking her from her thoughts. She looked up at him, waiting to see what he was going to do next.

"Well, that's it. Thank you for being considerate. I'd also appreciate it if you can keep it a secret."

"Oh...of course. I won't tell anyone," Not that she has anyone to tell to. She internally sneered at herself. God, she was such a failure sometimes. Her life as a dedicated homebody has led to the death of her social life. He smiled at her, unaware of the thoughts going through her head.

"If you want help on anything just tell me alright? As my thanks." Mei nodded her head, though she was certain they'd probably never talk again. This was probably the last time he'll see her which is good. She'll go back to pretending none of it ever happened, and go back to living her normal, boring life. What ever could she ask help for him for? It's not like he's....

Suddenly it hit her. Another one of her crazy ideas. Honestly, who gave her the choice of having this much freedom?

"Well, if that's all-"

"Wait." She grabbed the edge of her sweater, staring at him with eyes shining in excitement. His heat skipped a beat.

"Actually, there's something I'd like you to help with." He grinned.

"That was quick. What is it?"

"I want you to be my boyfriend."

"......"

Ha?!