Untitled Part 4

Adam kept Sophia behind him out of reach of the gun. He tried to keep his cool so he wouldn't scare his niece. Swallowing hard he took a breath and let it out.

"Ryan, I'm gonna put Soph in the car so she doesn't get hurt and we can talk this out like adults alright" Adam said cautiously.

"How about you give her to me and I won't kill you" Ryan snapped.

"You don't wanna do this ok. Not in front of Soph"

He eyed the seven-year-old, his daughter as she grabbed her uncle's jacket with a grip. He dropped the weapon. "Make it fast"

As quickly as he could Adam put Sophia in the car and strapped her in. He took out his phone. "Soph, I need you to do as exactly as I say and call either Grandpa Hank, Grandpa Bob or my friend Kevin. Tell them what happened and where we are"

"Uncle Adam, I'm scared"

He kissed her head. "I know you are. I'm here to protect you. Always. I promise. It's gonna be ok. When one of them answers, tell them Ryan has a gun. Mine"

She nodded he kissed her head and closed the door and locked the car to make sure Ryan can't get her. Slowly Adam went back to him, his hands up.

"Alright, she's safe now. Can you put the gun down now"

"Not till I get what's mine"

"You'll never get Sophia. Not as long as I live"

Ryan clocked the gun. "I can easily arrange something"

"Why'd you kill Emma?"

"I didn't kill her!"

"You two had a fight one night and two days later she has an accident. Why'd you do it?"

"I didn't kill her!"

"She threatened to keep Sophia away from you. Threatened to take your rights. What was it that you killed my sister?! Sophia's mother!" Adam was red in the face.

The next thing Adam knew he was on the ground, Ryan had bashed him in the face with the gun across his head. Blood trickled from his head. He was fighting to stay awake. Bending down Ryan got close.

"I didn't kill her. I loved her. I love Sophia"

"You...won't...get....her"

"And who's gonna stop me?"

As Ryan was distracted the intelligence unit rolled up and they got out of their vehicles and went over. Kevin in the lead. "You don't get that gun off my partner I'll blow your head off"

Looking back he had seen all of intelligence with their weapons out, Hank had a scowl on his face. Throwing the gun down Ryan ran, Jay and Erin chased after him while the other tended to Adam.

"Take it easy bro," Kevin said.

"Soph....she's in the...car... god my head is killing me" Adam groaned.

Hank saw the cut and put pressure on it and wiped the blood. "We'll get Sophia"

"Sarge he had ..my gun"

The older Sergeant bit his jaw. "We'll get him. We need to get you to the hospital"

"I'm fine"

"You're bleeding from your head. Kevin and Kim will stay with Sophia. You are getting checked out"

"What about the groceries?"

"We'll take them Adam," Kim told him.

Adam dug into his pockets and passed over his car keys and house key. "Please. Don't let nobody hurt Soph"