Chapter One - Temple Of Dreams

The sun peaked through my apartment window, the birds chirping flying past the window. My eyes gently fluttered open spreading out my limbs stretching as I begin turning my head towards my clock, realizing the time I threw the blankets off my body violently running towards my closet.

"Damnit! I'm so late for work!" I spoke.

I rummaged through my closet searching for my work clothes.. soon finding them lying on the ground, I reached down grabbing the outfit pausing noticing a red wine stain. I sigh loudly throwing the stained shirt onto my bed grabbing a plain-tee, I put my pants and shirt on. I ran towards my nightstand opening the drawer grabbing a few dollars rushing out of my apartment building, running past my landlord he laughs.

"Late for work again I see, Faith." He shakes his head chuckling.

"Yup! I'll see you later, George!" I laugh along with him.

I rush out of the entrance standing beside the curb waving my arm around signaling a taxi. I back up a few inches from the curb watching the taxi pull up beside it, I enter the backseats immediately looking through my purse grabbing a small carry-on deodorant beginning to put it on. The taxi driver glances into the rear view watching me apply the deodorant.

"Rough morning I take it?" He asked.

"You have no idea." I shook my head with a sigh.

"So, Where am I taking you this morning ma'am?" He asked.

"Betty's Ice Cream shop, please." I give a gentle smile.

The taxi driver pulled away from the curb driving away I lay back against the seat slightly turning my head looking out of the window, I watch a bunch of women in beautiful clothing looking as if they had their whole life set and they were perfect. I could only dream of that life. I turn my head to look out the front window watching the taxi approach the shop, I lean forward as he puts the car in park beside the curb of the shop handing him the money.

"Thank you very much for the ride, have a wonderful day" I smile.

"You as well, Miss." He nods.

I open the car door stepping out running into the shop I watch my boss occupied with customers, I crouch low trying to sneak past her being successful. I walk to the back room setting down my bag on the rack turning around bumping into my boss.

"Oh my- Boss.. I- I umm.." I began stuttering my words.

"Save it, Faith. I understand the disappearance of your brother has been causing lots of issues in your life but that is not an excuse for being late to work 4 times this week. So I am sorry Faith but instead of leaving at 4pm you must stay until 11pm" She walked away.

"Fuck..." I whispered.

I walked away towards the delivery window noticing many people I sighed low to myself "This is going to be a long day..". The hours passing felt like years it felt like it would never end, I glance upwards at the clock watching it turn 6pm as everyone began packing up their things and leaving. The boss walked towards me putting her hand on my shoulder smiling.

"Faith you are alone now, it's your job to close down tonight. Don't forget to shut everything off, Have a good night" She patted my shoulder leaving the shop.

I nod to her words walking towards the front counter as everyone left I watch everyone take off in their cars.. being alone was the worst possible thing anyone could do to me. My smile began fading away as well as my happiness..
Hours pass until it finally reached 11 I walked to the back room grabbing my bag flipping the light switch off as I walk out of the room noticing a middle aged lady opening the door, her voice was sweet and humble and for some unknown reason made me feel comfortable and... safe?

"Hello darling, I know you are closing right now but is there any chance I could buy a small pint of Ice Cream please?" She asked.
"Mm.. I don't know ma'am. I just started working here so I don't quite know the policies of selling past 11" I stutter my words slightly.
"I understand.." She sighs low.

The lady began walking out of the store, I stared at the Ice Cream closing my eyes before calling towards her.

"Wait, ma'am! I uh- I think it'll be okay if you buy some" I smile softly towards her.
"Oh my! Thank you so much dear. I would like one pint of strawberry please" She explained happily.

I nod towards her grabbing a pint container and a scooper beginning to scrap the ice cream out of the box in the freezer, I glance towards her a few times.

"So. What brings you to buy Ice Cream at 11pm?" I chuckle softly.

"Ah. The daughter, she began her period today and her mood swings are insane. Left to come get Mint Ice Cream and on the way here she called me screaming for Strawberry and hung up" The lady laughs.

"Sounds like me. What's your daughter's name if you don't mind me asking?" I finish up filling the pint walking towards the counter and setting it down.

"Her name is Scarlet. She's a sweet girl" The lady grins taking out money handing it to me.

"That's a beautiful name" I grin.

"What is your name dear?" She questions.

"Faith" I answer.

"Faith... what a lovely name. Well.. it was lovely meeting you Faith, I hope you have a beautiful night" The lady smiles taking her pint and leaving.

I grab my bag again switching off every light then locking the door to the shop, I stand at the curb switching my gaze left and right "I should just walk home to clear my mind.." I back away from the curb continuing down the road back home. I was so lost in my thoughts I lost my way home I began spinning around looking in every direction possible beginning to breath heavily from anxiety, I pause hearing talking down an alleyway.. "I guess my best option is see if one of them can help me with direction..".

I began walking down the alleyway as I got closer the people came more visible to my vision, 3 men stood there. It looked as if they were shouting at each other I stood waiting hoping for the situation to cool down to ask one of them for directions, minutes later silence overcame the 3 men. "Better chance now than never" I began walking forward towards them before something horrid had happened in a blink of an eye. I watched as one of the men had taken a gun from his back pocket and shot the other man between the eyes with no remorse, I stood there shocked, shaking, breathing heavily.. every possible thing that caused their attention onto me.

The men had noticed me standing there and took action immediately.
"Grab her!!" The two men chased after me.
I began running out of the alleyway dropping my purse breathing heavily I continued looking behind me, as I turned a corner the men seemed to have disappeared. I came to a stop in my pace turning around squinting my eyes softly confused. I thought everything was going to be okay until a bag was thrown over my head and one of the men had slammed my head against a brick building knocking me out...

I pray I'll be okay from this outcome..