- Ch. I -

"The Lee family practically built this city themselves! They were the ones that chose the first rulers of this kingdom, the ones who opened up this conservative empire to new ideas and allowed this dog-shit capital to prosper permanently. The Lee family helped—"

"—shape this city and its rulers, I know."

"And they don't interrupt others!" Minho glances up from his book, meeting his mother pacing about in the room, picking up her ruby dress to keep from stepping onto the sheer and silky fabric. She twirls her fan between her fingers, muttering trivial worries under her breath before she whips toward Minho, placing all of her attention onto her son. "You know, the Lee family has had the most influence over the monarchy for over ten generations."

"Yeah, I know."

"If you know, then why don't you listen?" She sighs, chewing onto her lower lip before heading toward the younger. "I don't want to give you another lecture, but you're the future of the Lee family. You don't have any siblings and your grandfather already gave you his blessing, didn't he?"

Yes, he knows.

Minho shuts his book, huffing at his mother that stared at him worryingly, fumbling about with her ornate fan, knitting her brows, and tugging at her earrings.

"I just worry about you, Minho. You have a life laid out in front of you! You can be one of those people who make a difference." She groans. "Destiny laid out a path so clear in front of you, son, and you choose not to follow it! Do you get a kick out of it? Is disobeying the Gods' wishes your thing now?"

"Who says I won't make a difference by being something other than a court sorcerer?" He huffs, returning his book onto the table nearby. He made a gesture to stand, but a marmalade cat jumps onto his lap, purring as she circled and laid comfortably against him.

"Because, you're destined for something so much greater than... than—" Eomeoni Lee sputters, gesturing to her pigheaded son. "Whatever it is you do!"

"I take care of creatures, eomma," Minho huffs, petting the cat's head affectionately, though his mother takes both of his hands, frowning at him much to Soonie's disapproval.

"You have talent, Minho. You're powerful and intelligent—you shouldn't waste your talents on... taking care of animals." She gestures to the cat. "And you never listen to me or your father. It's been eight years since I told you to get rid of that cat when you brought it in. And ever since, you stopped obeying your parents."

"It's not a cat, Eomma." Minho pulls his hands away. "She's Soonie. And I obey you and Appa. I still study, I still do whatever it is you want me to do."

"Sometimes I wished your uncle hadn't let you off your studies so early," Eomeoni Lee says, shaking her head. "You wouldn't have taken care of animals just because of some cat—Soonie."

"She's not just some cat! She really brings this family together. You should know that! You always let her sleep on your bed!"

At Soonie's agreeing meow, Abeoji Lee walks into the drawing-room, fixing his inky doublet, gesturing to the young sorcerer sitting idly on a couch nearby with the fiery coat of fur standing out from his own black tunic.

"Look at you. I don't mind Soonie, but at least don't let her shed all over your clothes before the party." He sighs, shooing the cat off of his son. Though the damage had already been done; cat hair, all over Minho's tunic and cloak.

"Aish! We have to do everything for our idiot son!" Eomeoni Lee ushers Minho to his feet, dusting off the fur and brushing back his hair, styling it further to keep the stray strands from falling over his eyes.

"Wait, a minute! I can do it myself!" 

"Don't be ridiculous, you'll only stall. Now come on, we'll be late if we don't hurry."

Linking her arm around Minho's, the trio exit the manor, bidding the servants goodbye. Mounting the horses, they exit the vicinity, urging their horses into a canter down the road.

Minho never expected to attend the prince's birthday party. He never went, actually, though his family always attended (of course they attended, they were the Lee family). Minho just never found much in the over-the-top parties in that castle, never liked the idea of drinking himself to death for a day (he liked to wake up safe and sound in his bed tomorrow, not on a musty hay stack in some stable on the other side of the city). He expected to stay inside, playing with Soonie or studying or at his offices, taking care of the creatures he took under his wing over the years. Or helping the servants around the manor, maybe cook a pastry or two in the kitchen. Apparently, his parents finally tire of his lacking social life and dragged him to the party, saying that if he wanted to have influence over the throne, he needed connections. Damn strong ones.

Not that Minho had any sort of dispute with any of the lords or ladies, the prince or the king (well, maybe he did, he's sure he's wronged one or two of them). They quite liked him, actually, since he knew when to keep his mouth shut. It was just... Why make connections when he knew he didn't want to partake in politics as his parents wanted him to—as they expected him to do, as the head of the next generation of the Lee family.

"Minho." Abeoji Lee ushered his son to canter his horse beside him, turning to the sorcerer with a frown. "We're attending the young prince's party and his return from the North. Do you understand the significance of our arrival?"

Minho opens his mouth, but is promptly interrupted by his father's exclaims, "The other realms are attending. This is your chance to gain a few allies around the other kingdoms."

"Why are they attending?" Minho flicks off a stray strand of orange fur off his sleeve. "I don't think this is the best time for them to visit the capital."

"It isn't. Gods know it isn't." His father sighs, gesturing to the silhouette of the castle ways away as they neared the town, already lit up and sparkling as a new replacement to the setting sun. "But, if they see that there's someone among the humans with half of a brain maybe then, they'll think about fortifying a treaty. You can start making a difference before you even take a step into the war room."

"But most of all, Minho," Eomeoni Lee pipes up from behind the two. "Most of all, you represent the Lee family. So instead of hiding at the rooftops or sitting around in the gardens, go around the party and get people to like you."

"And." Abeoji Lee smiles. "You're still young. Have fun."

---

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY EDITOR AND FRIEND @burntt._.toastt (On Instagram) !! <3 I'm dedicating this fic for you boo, thank you so much for editing many of my stories and helping me with the research! <333

BUT WELCOME, WELCOME TO "Playing Among The Stars" I've been SUPER excited to share with work with y'all !! 

This is my first time writing a fantasy story so be nice y'all :/ BUT I'm having so much fun writing this :) As always, I'll be updating on Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Friday :))

I hope y'all stay on this journey with me! So excited to share more with y'all!! <333

I hope y'all enjoyed the first chapter, thank y'all so much for supporting me!! 

Much Love <3 Ly