Unsure

"How do you know my name?" I ask him. My heart is beating hard and fast in my chest, I can feel the stares of all the boys on us and I just want to run away and hide.

The sound of his voice saying my name has made me fill with fear, anxiety. I don't know why, but I'm afraid, confused.

"You don't know who I am?" He asks me. He looks sad as he speaks, as if he's expecting me to know the answer. My mind is racing to find one.

My mouth opens to speak but no words come out. So I just shake my head.

He looks so hurt. His face drops and he looks sad, I can't help but to feel guilty. And I have no idea why.

"Theresa...." he gets closer and my eyes widen, I quickly step back, bumping into Jeff.

I turn around and start walking away, as fast as I can despite my injuries. I hear him yell my name again and I walk faster, almost jogging. I think I hear the boy stopping him in the distance behind me but I don't stop. I need to leave this situation. I have no idea how to feel, how to react. All I know is I needed to leave.

__________________________________

I ended up climbing up to the treehouse. Struggling, I made it to the top. I'm at the very top, sitting with my knees up to my chest, and my head in my hands.

I feel confused, I don't understand why I'm feeling this way. I don't even know him. He's barely said 3 words to me and now I can't stand to see him. I don't want to feel this way, and I have no idea what to do about it. All I know is I don't want to see him.

"What's going on?" I hear Alby's faint voice in the distance below.
"I don't know, she kind of just freaked...."
"......how does he know her? Does she know him?...."

I can hear a few of the boys arguing below and it annoys me to know it's about me.
"C'mon." I hear and I lift my head.
I scoot to the edge to look down and they're climbing up.

"No!" I yell down at them, "I don't want to see anyone!"

"Theresa, come on, talk to us!" Ably yells and I feel sick. I don't like disappointing him, especially with my dramatic swings. But right now, I just can't.

"I said no!" I insist but I know they won't leave me alone. So I add "No one but Chuck!"

Me having someone to talk to should give them some peace of mind. Plus, Chuck is the one I'm most calm around.

I put my head back into my hands and focus on the pounding headache forming. I'm exhausted. And cold.

_________________________________

A while later I see a mop of curly hair pop up from below.
"Hey." Chuck smiled shyly, as do I.
"Are you okay?" He asks, sitting cross-legged next to me.

"Not really..." I respond and look away into the distance. I can see almost everything in the Glade from up here...the garden, the Homestead, the kitchen. The giant walls that have us trapped and tormented.

How can the Glade be so big yet feel so small...

"Theresa..." Chuck reaches for my arm and I shake my head.

"Chuck please don't, I don't want to talk." I tell him and I'm relieved he doesn't insist, and just sits here with me. He's the one person I don't ever mind being around, he gets me.

We sit there for what feels like hours, in silence. At least silence between us, my mind is anything but that.

I have never behaved this way before. I don't throw tantrums, I am not rude and dismissive. I don't even recognize myself at the moment. All I keep asking myself is Why do I feel this way? Why does HE make me feel this way? Why can't I pinpoint ONE emotion I'm feeling right now?

"His name's Thomas..." Gally's voice keeps repeating in my head.

Thomas...

Tom...

I jump at the sound of creaking wood, me and Chuck's heads turn and we see Gally had climbed up the treehouse. I sigh and look away. Two's company, three's a party My subconscious says annoyed and I'm surprised at my attitude.

"Can I...?" I hear Gally ask Chuck and Chuck hums 'yes' and scoots over to climb down, leaving me and Gally alone.

"Hey." he sits next to me.

I take a deep breath to calm my anxiety and looks over, offering him a small smile. "Hi."

"Tell me what you're feeling, Theresa. What's going on?" He asks gently.

I think. Where do I even begin? I'm trying to figure out the same thing.

I don't know what to say and I break down crying.

"Theresa, did he do something to you? Do you know him?" He is concerned now.

"No! No, I just..." I harshly wipe away my tears with both hands, "Gally...I don't know what's going on...when he said my name I...I don't remember him, and I don't know why I'm feeling this way."

He takes my hand between his, offering me comfort, and I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Do you think it's a memory thing? Like how we arrive with no memory, maybe I knew him before? He seemed to know me..."

Gally sighs before speaking, "Theresa...despite as much as I don't like or trust the shank...I think you should talk to him. Get some answers. Hopefully it'll calm the both of you down."

"What do you mean?"

"Greenie's been going frantic, asking to talk to you."

"Really?" I ask and he nods.

"I think you both have questions you want answers to."

He's right. I have to talk to him. I have to get answers. Otherwise, I'll never stop feeling this way.