Chapter Five - Valerie

The smell of the hospital made me feel sick, all the white walls, the sick patients knowing I'm a place where people die, it just all bought back terrible memories of when my grandma passed away.

I couldn't even sit still while we waited for Caroline, I walked up and down the corridor thinking why she should do this to herself.

Once we were able to go into the room, tears built up in my eyes as I saw her bandaged arms and I quickly pulled her into a hug. We both cried as we held each other and after everyone comforted her, we all sat around her in silence.

"It wasn't my fault," She whispered it so lowly but we all heard her.

"What do you mean?" I asked, "I'm sorry you felt like you couldn't talk to us about what's going on but we don't judge you for hurting yourself, I just want you to know we love and will be by your side through whatever it is." Everyone all muttered words of agreement wanting our friend to know she has us, that she doesn't have to suffer through this alone.

"No I mean I didn't do this to myself," tears fell from her eyes as she looked up at us, "it was Aurora, she did this to me I swear I don't want to end my life, you know me!"

I rubbed her back and pulled her into my arms again, trying to calm her down. I whispered comforting words to her as the events of the ouija ran through my head. The things that happened was weird but is she telling the truth? Could it have to do with that?

"I can't believe this, no offence Care but I didn't say much about you acting like you saw her at the cemetery but this, I can't go along with," Zoey stood up and shook her head, "look I love you so much but just be honest with us."

"I'm not lying how can you even say that? This is all your damn fault! You wanted to mess with that board so badly and look where it's got me." Caroline yelled at Zoey with hurt written all over her face.

"Don't try to cover up your suicidal tendencies with that," As soon as those words left Zoey's mouth, she froze and tried to take those words back but Caroline shook her head not wanting to hear anything else.

"Zoey, that was low," Viktor muttered as he glared up at Zoey who got pulled out by Danny. Zack took Zoey's spot beside me to hold my hand as Viktor comforted Caroline about what happened.

After an hour, we had to go home and leave Caroline to spend some time with her family. None of us wanted to leave especially after what she said.

Danny and Zoey were already at mine with some food so we all ate in silence.

"I'm sorry for what I said back there," Zoey broke the silence as she put her slice of pizza down, "but do you guys believe her?"

"Yeah I do, you remember what happened that night, don't you?" Viktor nearly shouted his words at her who seemed shocked by his anger. "Cause if I remember correctly, we didn't exactly say goodbye and that planchette fucking moved then flew off the board, we actually talked to a spirit who was murdered." Viktor threw his food on the plate before he took off into his room. We all jumped when we heard his room door shut and then Zoey started to say she didn't mean for this to happen.

"We know you didn't but I believe her, Zoey." I said as I placed a hand on her shoulder trying to calm her down, "you know the stories about the ouija board, we all took part in it but now we got to fix this, our friend is in hospital."

She nodded her head and let Danny hold her who sent me a wink. I just smiled at him before taking our rubbish into the kitchen with Zack following me.

As I started to wash up, Zack wrapped his arms around my stomach and kissed the top of my head, "you want me to take over?" I shook my head and just enjoyed having his arms around me. Last night with him was awkward but great and I'm glad we were able to take this step even though we have been doing everything a little backwards, it was us.

Once we finished cleaning up, I had a shower as they set up the lounge room for the night. I used my towel to wipe the fog on the mirror so I could see myself but ended up seeing a girl behind me. My scream filled up the bathroom as I turned around and gripped the towel tighter around me.

"You okay?" I jumped from the knock on the door and let Zack know I was good, that I just saw a spider. Taking deep breaths in and out, I tried to calm myself down as I thought about what Caroline said. Was that Aurora? What did she want? Why did she show herself to me?

All these thoughts ran through my head while I walked back out to join everyone but a ringtone broke me away from it.

"Oh it's your phone Val, it's Care's mum," Zack said and I told him to answer it but whatever she said made tears fill up in his eyes as he clenched the phone.

"What's wrong?"  I asked, so many things ran through my head as I tried to think of what could cause him to react like this. Did something happen to Caroline?

Once he put the phone down, he just stared at it. "What's going on, Zack?"  Danny got up and shook his shoulder making him look up at his brother before he glanced at the rest of us.

"Caroline, shes gone," Zack took in a shaky breath before he continued, "her mum said she reopened her wounds and they weren't able to save her in time."