𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 ⸺ 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧.

1023 local hours. Year 7963 (14 BBY).
Stinger Mantis, Kashyyyk.

⚡︎ ⁺. ◍ 。

           "𝓘'M STILL NOT picking up any advanced life-form", Væmas said as the Mantis just passed through the cloud cover above the surface of Kashyyyk. "Are you sure we're in the right place?"

"The Empire overrun this facility a few rotations ago." Cere responded without turning around. "Most of the fighters regrouped in the forest."

"So...are you guys working with anyone?" Væmas asked, turning her seat to face the other crew members. "What are we doing on Kashyyyk?"

"We might find a clue here that would lead us to the Astrium." Cal explained, also turning his seat to face her. Seeing her interrogative look, he developed: "It's a very powerful item that could lead us to a holocron that contains a list of all Force-sensitive children in the galaxy."

"The only hope." Cere added. "The key to rebuilding the Jedi Order."

"You want to...what?!"

They can't be serious.

Væmas jumped of her seat as the ship just tipped its wing to land on the deserted platform. Everyone turned to her in surprise as she darted her eyes on Cal and Cere. Before their absence of response, she struck again:

"The...The Jedi Council was wrong! At the highest of their power, they let Darth Sidious take control of the Senate right in front of their eyes!"

Cal got up of his seat as well, tightening his fists as an aura of anger struck Væmas, who did her best to ignore it. "You're talking like an Inquisitor."

"No." She retaliated with a hard look. "I am talking like someone who paid the price for the arrogance of the Council, same as you." They were blinded by power!"

Her glanced turned to Cere, who remained silent, an indescribable look on her face. She then turned back to Cal, who opened his mouth, but she did not leave him the time to argue:

"We were children, Cal! And yes, we did survive, but how many did not? How many kids were slaughtered, kids that were sent to die every day on the battlefield? We were supposed to be keepers of the peace, not soldiers!"

She sighted loudly, her heart pounding, and ran a hand on her face. She then continued more calmly:

"However, I do agree with you on one point. The galaxy needs the Jedi back. It is the only way the Empire will be stopped. But we will build a new one. One that is not motivated by power and greed, nor blinded by reputation or politics. Can we all agree on this?"

Cere and Cal nodded slowly, still not saying anything, while Greez looked like he was suddenly fascinated by his controls. Taking this silent as agreement, Væmas stepped out of the cockpit as the side ramp lowered.

"Væmas, wait."

She turned interrogatively to Cere as Cal passed near them without looking at Væmas. Cere handed her a simple A180 blaster pistol.

"Until you make a new lightsaber, you'll need this." She stopped for a moment, her eyes turning to Cal who was crouching on the ground, examining a stormtrooper helmet. "Give him time." She added. "He doesn't want to accept the truth. Yet. Few have the capacity of putting things in perspective like you did."

She put a hand on her shoulder and finished in a compassionate tone: "Your point of view might be a bit black and white, but overall, you were right, Væmas. We — the Jedi — made a lot of mistakes. That is why we need people like you, to learn from them."