A Sign?

A sign?

Jacob pulled the bottle of Johnson Brother whiskey from under his bed,

Thought about grabbing a glass, but drank straight from the bottle instead.

His side began to throb, but he knew the pain was just in his head.

Sallie was a complication he didn't need. And to think he thought he was free!

Even though things weren't going well with Rue. He had hope of working through.

But Sallie had tracked him down and destroyed that too.

No way, would Rue believe what he had to say. Two big strikes in a matter of days.

Last night he'd gotten no sleep, not even a peep,

Drinking while Josie was fast asleep. Trying to keep his ghosts buried deep.

For only beneath the haze of the alcohol, was Jake able not to feel at all.

But this morning when Josie had began to stir, he washed his face and faked it for her.

Pretended that nothing was wrong with a smile. Encouraged her to see Gyn, as it'd been a while

Since Josie's last saw her friend. He gave her some money for milk and muffins.

And sent his sister on her way, so Jacob could drink the day away.

He took a long sip, then one more.

He'd drink until he'd forget. Halfway through the bottle, came pounding on his door.

He got to his feet and swore. He was still sober enough to fake it for Josie's sake,

But when he pulled open the door, he came face to face,

With Sallie McClain .

Her face was red and her hands on her hips. She immediately started to give him lip.

As she forced her way inside. "So you think you can stay up here and hide?

You were supposed to meet me for lunch thirty minutes ago!

Stop pinning over that whore. You won't be seeing her anymore!

Stay away from her Jacob, I'm warning you. Test me and you won't like what I do."

Jacob laughed, "The only whore I see around here is you. Don't you dare speak that way about Rue!"

He should have seen it coming he knew, but the alcohol made his head fuzzy and him slow too.

Sallie raked her nails down his cheek.

"Never speak to me that way again!

Fall in line Jacob or else pay the price. Get yourself cleaned up, Meet me for lunch. Don't make me ask twice!"

Jacob felt the burning on his face The blood welling up from Sallie putting him in his place.

He laughed as she stormed out the door, he hadn't missed her temper, that was for sure.

He poured some whiskey over the scratches on his cheek. He was no longer the same man, so weak.