Chapter 8

The day of the dance came much faster than Jisung expected.

He found himself completely unprepared when he walked into the school's gym, Jaemin's hand holding his to ensure that the younger wouldn't run away at the first opportunity he found, which was something Jisung was seriously considering.

The gym had been completely transformed, with pink, red, and white streamers falling from the ceiling at irregular lengths and large balloon pillars of the same colours. There was a corner of the gym that had been made into a photobooth for couples, another section that consisted of three tables topped with so many drinks and snacks that some were nearly falling off the sides, and finally the center of the gym, which was completely bare of decorations so as to function as the dance floor.

He did have to praise the decorating committee, as much as he hated the theme given for the dance. They had somehow found a way to turn a sweaty gym into a scene straight out of a dream.

Although for Jisung the dream was more along the lines of a nightmare considering his situation.

"You look scared," Jaemin commented.

"Maybe that's because I am," Jisung retorted, "This place is so... romantic." He scrunched up his nose and shook his head, "It's weird. I don't like it."

"Come on," Jaemin said, ignoring Jisung's last comment and dragging him over to the drinks table, around which they spotted Jeno and Mark already waiting for them.

When they reached the table, Jaemin fell into conversation with the two other males, but Jisung was only partially listening. His eyes were roaming around the gym, and he vaguely heard Jaemin ask about Donghyuck and Renjun, but he didn't hear the answer that was given in response since something, or more specifically someone, else caught his attention.

It was Chenle.

He had changed from his usual, casual clothes, into a perfectly tailored suit, paired with a tie that was a pale red colour, nearly pink but not quite. He still looked like the same Chenle that Jisung knew and loved, but if Jisung had to describe his appearance in one word, it would be 'hot as fuck'. Actually, those were three words, but Jisung didn't care because they still applied.

Jisung was used to Chenle being cute. He was used to the Chenle who knew Jisung was whipped for him and used it to his advantage whenever he had the opportunity, but still couldn't put the pieces together and realise that Jisung had romantic, non-platonic feelings for him. He was used to the Chenle who would fall asleep on Jisung's bed after they stayed up late together, his dyed hair falling over his eyes and his expression softening as he dreamt peacefully.

Jisung could feel his heart beating erratically in his chest, and he could feel the redness that was blooming on his cheeks.

But then he noticed the girl standing beside Chenle, and each one of his previous thoughts rushed out of his mind as if there had been a cork keeping them trapped inside and someone had pulled it away, letting them escape in one big rush.

His mind was blank as he observed Haeun from afar. She was wearing a dress that matched the colour of Chenle's tie. It was wrapped tightly around her upper body, accentuating her thin waist. The dress was pulled together by a ribbon of a slightly darker shade of red. The bottom half of the dress was long and flowing, the material cutting off at differing lengths and twirling around her as she moved.

"Oh, hi Jisung."

Without Jisung noticing, the couple had somehow found their way through the dance floor of swaying bodies and had made their way over to where he stood.

"Hello Haeun," Jisung replied to the girl.

Before Haeun had been introduced to Chenle, she and Jisung had started having casual conversations during and after training for the school's dance team. She was kind, and if Jisung didn't feel such jealousy towards her, he genuinely believed that they could have been better friends.

But as it was, he had trouble thinking about Haeun without his following thought being one about Chenle, so he had started leaving immediately after dance practice, giving the girl no time to try and start a conversation with him.

She may have thought Jisung was ignoring her, and she would have been right to think so, but it was better for her as well, since Jisung knew there was a chance he would get upset and say something he didn't mean.

"I didn't think you were coming today," Haeun said, not unkindly, "Chenle said that you had other plans."

"I changed my mind," Jisung answered shortly.

"Hey, Sungie! Did you know that Haeun was part of the decorating committee for the dance?" Chenle asked, his eyes on his girlfriend even as he spoke to Jisung, "Look at how nice she made the gym. She even helped organise the rest of the dance because they didn't have enough people to help."

Haeun giggled and ducked her head shyly, "I didn't do that much to help. Really, it was nothing."

"You did a lot babe, don't be modest," Chenle said to Haeun, pressing a kiss to his girlfriend's hair, as her eyes were still trained on the ground.

Jisung felt multiple pairs of eyes on him, and he looked away from Chenle and Haeun (thank god, because he didn't think he could handle watching them any longer). He caught the eyes of a tall girl with black hair, who's eyes widened a fraction when Jisung caught her staring.

She turned away from him, towards her friends, who were all grouped around her. They began talking, maybe they were whispering, but Jisung doubted it considering the music booming throughout the gym would have made it impossible for them to hear one another. They were giggling and occasionally pointing in his direction.

One girl in particular kept looking back at him, and Jisung was becoming increasingly more uncomfortable the longer she kept her unwavering gaze on him, looking him up and down like a lion choosing its prey.

Jisung glanced over at Chenle, only to realise that he hadn't yet come out to Chenle as gay, and the older male would be of little to no help to him if the girl ended up approaching them.

He would probably see it as a good thing, mention something along the lines of 'you need a girlfriend, Jisung' before leaving him alone with the creepy girl.

Fuck that. Jisung was getting out of the gym, no matter what he had to do to escape his friends.

- 🐥 & 🐬-

𝐼 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑘 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑒𝑥𝑡 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔?
𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑎 𝑓𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑑 𝑢𝑝 𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑒𝑥𝑡 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟.
𝑅𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑚 𝑞𝑢𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛: 𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡'𝑠 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑢𝑙𝑡 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑝(𝑠) 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑤ℎ𝑜'𝑠 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑢𝑙𝑡 𝑏𝑖𝑎𝑠(𝑒𝑠)?