Strawberry Fields

The sweet smell of strawberries filled my nose. The aroma made my mouth water. I picked one off the bush and quickly washed it off with my water bottle. I sunk my teeth in it, and the juicy taste satisfied my tongue. I was so mesmerized by the taste of the fruit that I didn't hear a bush rustling from behind me.

"Hey, what's up?" Annabeth said as she appeared out from one of the bushes.

I almost jumped out of my seat.

"Oh, gods, Annabeth. What are you doing here? I was supposed to be the one to surprise you. Not the other way around," I asked with a frown, looking at the picnic basket filled with food that I cooked with the help of my mom. I had planned for this picnic date for the past week, and I had asked for the help of Katie to bring her to the strawberry fields for me once I was finished setting up. I suppose she came too early.

"Oh, I don't know? Katie told me to come her at noon. It is exactly 12:00 right now, so I don't know if I've been calling noon wrong my entire life or. . ." Her mouth straightened into a thin line, and I immediately felt bad.

"Ah, don't worry about it, Wise Girl. All that matters is that I'm here and you're here and we have all these food that needs to be eaten."

Annabeth stifled a laugh, and she plopped down on the blanket next to me.

***********************

We finished our lunch together, and it was (surprisingly) very relaxing. It's not everyday that demigods like us don't get attacked by a monster every few minutes.

Annabeth, who was laying on my lap, suddenly sat up straight. And in doing so, her head hit my nose.

"What was that for?" I grumbled as my hand flies to my nose where I scarcely patted it.

"Oh, are you okay?"

"Good as one can get after being hit in the nose," I can't help but laugh at the little incident. I was fine, but Annabeth being Annabeth would probably want me to visit the infirmary; however, she doesn't insist on it.

"I'm sorry, I just totally forgot to tell you. Remember when the gods tasked me with reconstructing Mount Olympus again after the war against Kronos?" Her smile wavered, most likely remembering the loss of some of our friends. Whenever anyone brings up the subject, the mood around camp immediately changes.

"Yeah, what about it?" I asked, leaning my head against her shoulder, her blonde hair getting in my face.

"So I was hoping I could start as early as possible so I can go to back to school without worrying about the gods pestering me to fix their homes. And I was planning on starting next week. . . " She bit her lip softly, and this time, it was me who was sitting up straight.

"Wait, but I thought we were planning to hang out this summer. Just the two of us. You already planned out our summer," I faltered. I knew Annabeth had to fix Olympus, but I didn't think she would start this soon.

"Yeah, but this is the chance of a lifetime for me! And I promise, in my spare time, we can spend our time together."

I hesitate, but I know I wasn't about to let my personal emotions stop the dreams of something Annabeth's wanted to do since she was a child. "Don't worry 'bout it. Only because I love you. And I'll be perfectly fine here at camp training some new kids," I smiled at her but she doesn't give me the courtesy of smiling back.

"Oh, yeah, uh, about that. . ."

"What now?"

"Okay, it's not that bad. Chiron basically insisted that you stay away from camp this summer. Not in a bad way, of course. You know he loves you, but we both agreed that after everything that happened lately, you deserve a break. Plus, Clarisse really insisted that you left, too. Because she doesn't exactly like the idea of training campers with you."

Great," I grit my teeth. "What am I supposed to do then? Stay home with my mom? No offense to her, but I don't think I could stand being with her and Paul for a whole summer. I'd need to go somewhere, do something."

Annabeth smiled widely, her eyes twinkled with a mischievous glint. Her face just screamed, I GOT A PLAN! I sighed right before she said, "That's exactly why you get a job, of course."

---------------

Hello guys!! This is my first book ever and I hope you guys enjoy. Comment what you think about it, and if there's anything you want me to change.

I'll try to update as much as possible.

I do not own PJO or Avengers

Love, Milky Rose