you are my sunshine | mileven

ages 16-17

in which mike sings el her favorite song

"hey, hey you're going to be alright, just don't close your eyes just yet."

"mike, it's getting hard to breathe. mike i know you need me to stay awake but it hurts, it hurts so much."

"ok, ok you can sleep. i'll be here when you wake up.", he mumbled, even though he knew his words weren't true.

he knew that the moment she closed her eyes he wouldn't see her ever again. yes, she defeated the mind flayer, but at what cost?

"mike, i love you. i-i love you so much and i hope you know that.", she raised her shaky hand to cup his cheek.

he looked down at her. the love of his life, dying in his arms.

"no el don't say that it sounds like goodbye.", he sobbed. he couldn't hold it in anymore. he knew this moment would come and he promised himself he wouldn't cry, but he didn't expect it to be so soon.

"mike, will you move on after me? will you find another girl who you'll make promises with?"

"no el of course not! ellie, i could never love anyone nearly the same amount that i love you. hell, i can't love anyone else but you."

"mike, i want you to live your life. look, you're so young and i want you to live your life without me holding you back."

"no, el you're the only person i want in life. el, i love you but i'm not promising you something this time.", he said with a shaky voice, "the only promise i'll make to you is that i'll come after you. when you wake up in heaven, i'll be there right after you."

"mike stop you're being ridiculous. you will live your life, i'll always be with you, in here", she pointed at his chest.

he sighed and gently cupped her cheek, "fine, i promise i'll live my life, for you love. but i will never marry anyone who's not you el. i just can't."

they just sat there in silence, mike's arm holding el's torso up so they can make eye contact. they were sat in the middle of the abandoned hospital, a splatters of blood everywhere. suddenly, mike picked el up and carried her to a seat in the waiting room. he sat and place el on his lap while she took deep breaths.

"mike?", el whispered into his neck.

"yes, love?"

"can you sing me my song?"

mike let tears fall down his cheeks as he realized that this would be the last time she'd hear it.

"of course, anything for you baby."

el felt it coming, that feeling. she felt as she was going to leave soon, she just wanted to stay for one more song.

you are my sunshine

my only sunshine

his voice cracked, though he continued so he could fulfill her wish.

you make me happy

when skies are grey 

he pulled her body closer to his and placed a kiss on her cold, blood stained cheek.

you'll never know dear

how much i love you

mike tilted his head up to the ceiling with closed eyes, praying to whatever was in charge of his girlfriend's fate.

and with a shaky voice he sang,

please don't take my sunshine away.

"mike, i love you and i'll see you later."

"no, el please just stay awake! please i need you here just keep your eyes open. come on hopper's on his way,"

"mike, mike i love you. i love you so much. michael wheeler i hope you will never forget me, because i'll be watching over you.", she smiled even though she was in so much pain.

"i love you sunshine.", she whispered as she closed her eyes and felt the pain go away.

"i love you too sunshine, more than you'll ever know.", mike whispered with a shaky voice as he leaned down to place a soft kiss on her lips.

he fell off the chair with el in his arms, onto his knees, sobbing.

he heard the sound of many footsteps running through the halls of the hospital, coming towards him. yet he didn't care. all he could focus on was sob screaming el's name.

"el, el you're not gone i know you aren't!", he screamed with a raspy voice. lucas and hopper ran up to him and put a hand on his shoulder as they stared down at the dead girl in his arms. mike pulled her up as he hugged her cold, lifeless body up to his chest.

"sunshine please come back, please."

mmm. shitty ending sorry i hated this bye-