Idealist | Kunikida Doppo

A.N: Finally writing something about the ridiculously underrated idealist Mr.Kunikida Doppo. Hope you enjoy this one!
-Hanahaki

No one understood why you and Kunikida were an item

No one understood why you and Kunikida were an item. It had been almost a year since you met the blonde on a mission and the two of you hadn't quite gotten along since. You were the bane of his existence, and most importantly you went against all 58 of his requirements for his 'ideal partner'.
A.N: (Dazai had tried to show you these pages numerous times and you finally caved after the 7th attempt.)
He was a stickler, a rigid stoic who was always on schedule and you were untamed, all of his efforts at scolding you rendered useless.
Not sure how you ended up together in the first place, you severed ties often. However that little red string of fate brought him back to your door once again.
He couldn't stand you ignoring him at the office, and though he was too prideful to show it, his facade was cracking by the hour, every teasing quip by none other than Dazai chipping away at the idealist's core.
He slammed his hand on the mahogany desk and rose from his position at it, face to face with the brown haired troublemaker who innocently threw his arms up in response.
"Will you quit talking about it!?" He boomed, his deeper voice filling the already awkward air of the room.
"Whatever we are dealing with is between myself and [Y/N], quite literally making it nothing of your concer-" he trailed off.
You looked up from your desk with a teasing smile, interrupting him. "Ah? So we are dealing with something, hm? I thought as much.."
A delicate shade of pink dusted over the man's face, as it relaxed, not expecting you to have interjected. You had an effect on him that he never seemed to want to admit, although obvious to everyone he continued to deny it in that moment.
"Kunikida-kun~ you're blushing!" sang the brunette as he returned to his position at his own desk. "I am not." Kunikida spat back at him.
You rose from your desk and quietly started packing your things as his eyes stayed affixed on your form. You walked over to Dazai and placed the file you were working on, atop his mess of a desk, your hand lingering on the corner of it as your eyes met.
Leaning in and whispering a bit too loudly, "You'll take care of this for me, wont you?" you asked.
The blonde scoffed, and you jumped, his silence making you forget he was in the room. "You know he won't get it done, what do you need?" he swiveled in his chair facing you, his foot lightly tapping the hardwood floor.
You held back a laugh, knowing it was a nervous habit of his.
Plucking the file off Dazai's desk you proceeded to drop it on the idealist's with an unsettling smile. "Since Kunikida wants to do it so badly..."
The man winced at the sound of his name, adjusting himself in his seat with weak attempts to keep his composure. Of all things you knew he didn't like, one of the most irritating was when you called him by his surname.
Even in a professional setting he preferred you called him Doppo, a symbol of mutual trust, a casual indicator of your relationship. One that was crushed under the weight of your disposition in that moment.
"He can do it," you continued. Adjusting your bag, you walk out the office stopping at the door. "I'll be taking my leave now, if the President asks, have him explain" you cooed, pointing at Kunikida with your chin. The door closed with a bang as silence fell over the room, the target of your anger letting out a heavy sigh, nearly melting into his seat.
Dazai spun around yawning, "Are you going to get her or should I swoop in?" he teased. "[Y/N] is a very beautiful woman. You wouldn't want her walking around alone now, would you?"
"Dazai.." the man began.
"For someone so attractive you do treat her so recklessly, it would be a shame if someone were to show her a little kindness."
"Dazai!" he repeated, visibly upset by his testament.
Difficult to admit it, but Kunikida knew he was right.
He pulled himself off the seat grabbing his notebook, the same notebook containing numerous terms and conditions that plagued your relationship.
He stared at the cover before slipping it in his vest. "Tell Fukuzawa I've something urgent to attend to", he called behind him as he rushed out the door hoping to catch up to you.
He knew where you would be, down at the café where you always took a window seat. Although one thing was different, you weren't alone this time.
Accompanying you was a thin man with [H/C] hair. Kunikida craned his neck attempting to get a better look as jealousy took over. If he was going to lose you to another man the least he could do was get a peek at what he looked like. Rationale rushed in, knowing he didnt want to make things worse, eventually giving up and taking a bar seat instead of a booth to avoid being spotted.
His stormy eyes graced your form from afar as he smiled to himself, even if you weren't on good terms you were still beautiful as ever. The way your work clothes draped delicately over your body and that look on your face when you were lost in conversation did things to the man that he would never dare to discuss in public.
Kunikida pulled out the notebook still admiring you and began scribbling passionately, his forehead crinkling in concentration.
He called the patron over and handed the book to her, gently instructing her to pass it along to you whenever your tab was asked for. And with that he exited the café taking a final glance at his love through the window, finding his way back home.
It was getting late and you laughed,wrapping up the conversation you were having with the man across from you. "It was so nice seeing you again [Y/N], make sure you say hello to the others for me." he stated as he rose from his seat and placed money on the table for you to pay with. You stood up and placed a kiss on each of his cheeks before giving him a gentle embrace and sending him on his way.
You sighed and called for your tab, suddenly thinking about your distant lover. "Maybe he's still upstairs..." You whispered to yourself before shaking the thought off, you needed to let him go and thinking about him wasnt helping.
The waitress arrived placing the tab on the table followed by a familiar green book. You thanked her and turned the book over, "IDEALS" plastered on the cover.
"Doppo.." you said gently as you flipped the book open to a page the blonde had crisply dogearred. On the page, many sentences had been neatly crossed out and at the bottom sat your name in tightly printed letters.
Your eyes welled with tears as you began flipping through the previous pages, all having sentences crossed out. These were his conditions, all 58 of them decorated with a thick mark through.
You smiled as a couple tears dropped on the pages, further irritating the ink. Paying your tab, you briskly walked out the café clutching the thick green book to your chest. You didnt care about the time, you took a detour on your usual way home and stopped at Kunikida's apartment. Luckily you had a spare key as it was a couple hours past his typical bedtime.
Gently closing the door you made your way to the man's bedroom; where you were usually met with darkness at this hour, a faint glow came from under the door.
Gingerly pushing it open, you saw the idealist sat on the corner of his bed, his face rested in his hands. His cloudy grey orbs met your [E/C] ones as you rushed over to him,catching him in a tight embrace.
"Doppo.." you whispered into the crook of his neck, a lump forming in your throat. He rubbed your back with the lightest of touches as you sobbed into his shirt. He didnt care, he was simply glad to have you back.
The silence that engulfed the two of you wasnt uncomfortable, in fact it was just what you needed. He leaned back into the bed, cupping your face in his hands, his calloused fingers making a statement against your smooth cheeks.
He then pulled you into a kiss, smashing your faces together in a rough manner as if you would never do it again.
"Im sorry.." you both whispered in unison and he shoved you off him as the two of you laughed ridiculously.
"C'mon" he said yawning, "I know you're tired from putting up a fight the whole day,hm?"
He handed you one of his dress shirts to change into and crawled into bed. "Leave your work clothes on the dresser, we can find something for you to wear in the morning".
You planted a kiss on his forehead and watched his body relax in response. He sat up for a moment looking at you with hungry eyes. "Who were you sitting with earlier? At the café." he asked. "That was my cousin." you scoffed. "Did you think i replaced you that quickly?"
"...."
Silence was enough of a response to know that was exactly what he thought. You laughed to yourself as you found yourself in your favorite pair of arms again, and for the first time in a month, you slept soundly.