12: Skating

America fumbled with the laces of the skates carelessly, tugging on them and making a loose knot.

"I'm done," he announced, staring expectantly at the tall Russian.

Russia stared down at America, glancing between the loose bow knot and his innocent smiling face.

He groaned.

"What?" America blinked, confused.

"You gotta tie it tight, you're skating not walking if you trip over your laces it'll be a disaster." Russia huffed as he bent down to help America tie a double bow knot, securing it and tucking it into the boot.

America watched bashfully as Russia helped him tie his laces properly. He watched as the Russian's fluffy hair bounced as he strained to tighten the laces.

He hadn't seen him without his ushanka before, and the temptation to test how fluffy it was rose, fast. He stretched out his hand tentatively, slightly hesitant. Slowly but surely his fingertips met the tips of the Russian's hair. His eyes widened at how soft it felt.

He quickly buried his hand into the fluff of hair, practically massaging Russia's scalp.

The Russian froze when he felt a hand on his head, buried in his hair, gently rubbing his scalp in a comforting manner. He found himself subconsciously leaning into the touch, seeking more.

"I, -uh." America cleared his throat awkwardly, heat rising to his cheeks quickly as he realised how random his action was, "sorry-"

Russia blinked, snapping out of his stupor, "Uh, it's fine." 

The Russian turned away, trying to hide a blush as he gave an experimental tug to ensure the laces were secure.

"There, you're all set." Russia stood up as he signalled for the American to follow suit. 

America bit his lips nervously as he slowly rose from the benches, wobbling a little. The moment he got on his two feet fully, his arms were flailing as he lost his balance, falling forward with a yelp. Russia turned around upon hearing the yelp, just in time to catch the falling American and stop both of them from falling. America landed in Russia's arms with a soft 'oomph'.

"Get a room you two!" Germany's snickering carried across the rink, causing the duo to become a blushing mess.

"S-sorry." America stuttered out, trying to regain his balance. 

Russia brushed aside the awkwardness forming between them as he decided to loosen up the tense American.

"It really is your first time skating, huh?" He teased as he put his arms around America's waist, easily lifting him up and putting him over his shoulders like a sack.

America yelped in surprise, "R-Russia??!! W-wait! Put me down!"

He struggled against the taller's hold, squirming about, but the other was physically stronger and was able to keep a good hold of him, preventing him from squirming out. He let out a small whine as he ceased his futile struggling, going limp on the other's broad shoulders.

"Hang on tight, princess, we're stepping on the ice now." Russia teased as he slowly let America down onto the cold and slippery ground. 

The American gave a squeak as his feet touched the ice, sliding from the lack of friction and he made a grab for the Russian for support.

"Ack-!" America choked out as he slipped yet again, panic rising in his throat.

Russia chuckled, his voice rumbling in his chest, sending shivers down the other's spine.

"You're in good hands, princess." Russia teased causing America to pout.

He let out an exaggerated  groan, "I hate you." 

"Sure you do." Russia barked out with a hearty laugh as he slowly helped the American stabilize himself.

America glanced around as he finally managed to stand on his own without support, albeit shaky, still stable. The rest of the club was on the other side of the rink, going through drills with the freshman, a few seniors helping out while the rest did their own drills. America watched in awe as they skated around skillfully with speed, envious of their ability to make it look so easy.

"You can do it too," Russia speaks up as he notices America's star-struck eyes.

America wrinkled his nose, looking at Russia confused, "what nonsense are you sprouting? I'm never getting on that level." 

"Say what you want, you'll get there, evn if you're a hopeless case right now, cause' i'm your teacher." Russia smirks.

"Oh shut up." America huffed, muttering a small 'show off' under his breath, crossing his arms as he gave the taller an unimpressed look.

"Alright alright, let's get skating," Russia laughed as he reached for america's hands.

"princess."

A loud thwack and a cacophony of laughter followed.